Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand, Foot and Mouth

(16 Posts)
alexbrandon Sat 08-Nov-14 21:47:47

My 8 month old has hand, foot and mouth. He is over the fever and seems to be getting better but the blisters on his hands and feet seem really sore. Is there anything I can out on them to ease the discomfort? I am giving him calpol and ibuprofen as directed by my GP over the phone.

WrappedInABlankie Sun 09-Nov-14 18:41:04

Your GP should of given him antibiotics..

My 2 year old has just gotten over this and his wasn't even that bad, a light red rash on top of his hands, feet, bum. ears, tummy, back and face never on the soles. He has however given it to my DS's Dh and he's nearly ended up in hospital as his is so bad and they've also given him antibiotics, and steroid cream

Bellossom Sun 09-Nov-14 18:45:03

Everyone at my sons childminders caught it and no one got antibiotics? Don't think that's standard. We just went with nurofen and luckily my son wasn't too bad. Hope it clears up soon sad

WrappedInABlankie Sun 09-Nov-14 19:26:59

It's defiantly standard here, if he's going to nursery etc he really shouldn't it's very contagious confused my DS and DS's DH weren't even allowed in the GP's surgery in case it was passed on

Memphisbelly Sun 09-Nov-14 19:31:25

We didn't get antibiotics for my ds and he had his mouth and throat so full of blisters you couldn't see normal skin. We used piriton liquid as it helped take the sting out of the blisters enough to get some fluid in to him.

Saltedcaramel2014 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:32:23

You have my sympathy it's a horrible one, DS had in the summer - actually once it started to heal it healed v v quickly though, so hopefully will be the same for yours. Our GP gave antibiotics in case the sores got infected, we gave them as a precaution. I was resistant as they didn't look infected, but did to be on safe side. Did nothing to speed healing though - as it's a virus it just passes in time.

Saltedcaramel2014 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:33:27

Oh and DS suffered most with the mouth ulcers (which we couldn't see) so we used kids bonjela

ThisFenceIsComfy Sun 09-Nov-14 19:36:36

Mouth ulcers can be soothed by bonkers, maybe some camomile lotion on hands and feet?

Never heard of antibiotics for it though, isn't it viral?

ThisFenceIsComfy Sun 09-Nov-14 19:37:01

Bonkers? Ha bonjela

ThisFenceIsComfy Sun 09-Nov-14 19:37:55

If blisters gave burst maybe metanium or sudocrem?

ThisFenceIsComfy Sun 09-Nov-14 19:38:23

Have. Not gave. Christ I hate my new phone

Saltedcaramel2014 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:39:25

Antibiotics is definitely only to help with potential resultant infections not to cure.

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sun 09-Nov-14 19:39:36

Antibiotics for hand foot and mouth seems to vary from gp to gp

WrappedInABlankie Sun 09-Nov-14 19:43:24

My ds luckily never had many blisters so it wasn't for that it's just something my GP did amoxi-clave I think it was called and he was to stay of nursery to all spots had gone and medicine finished

Hedgehogging Sun 09-Nov-14 19:58:03

It's caused by a virus so unfortunately antibiotics won't help (unless, as mentioned, there's a superimposed bacterial infection).

Pain/fever relief is about as much as you can do apart from keeping him well hydrated with sips of whatever he fancies and applying liberal TLC. Hope he's okay- it's a miserable dose.

alexbrandon Tue 11-Nov-14 16:06:11

Thanks for tips - I've started using calamine which seems to be helping. Took him to the doctors too as he didn't seem to be getting any better and his blisters are really nasty. He's now on antibiotics to avoid infected blisters. Hopefully on the mend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now