Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 year old, day 7 of bad diarrhoea-do we need to visit docs

(5 Posts)
Newmom2b Sat 08-Nov-14 20:05:09

Hi mums, as title says.
My DS, who is only just 3 is on day 7 of bad diarrhoea. Day 1 was awful, went through numerous pantspan, I even put him in a nappy in the end. Now we're on day 7 and he's making it to the toilet but still extremely loose and explosive. Tue thing is, in himself he's absolutely fine, his normal self full of beans dashing about etc.... How long is this supposed to last and should I visit the docs? Nursery won't take him in like this either....... Thanks for reading x

OttiliaVonBCup Sat 08-Nov-14 20:07:23

Anything longer than 3 days and not improving ought to be seen by a doctor.
Esp. in young children.

Quangle Sat 08-Nov-14 20:10:37

I would. And take a stool sample. I did when my dd had this. GP was dismissive - turned out to be salmonella.

LaPetiteCoccinelle Sat 08-Nov-14 20:15:23

I would. Have you weighed him? With our 2 year old we were told a weight loss of 10% meant we should go to a and e to be rehydrated.

Are you giving him lots of water?

Newmom2b Sat 08-Nov-14 20:18:11

Yes, he's eating and drinking as normalnormal, no signs of being poorly, no temptemp, not lethargic, making sure he's drinking lots of water and went in and spoke to chemist who gave me rehydration salts..... Think I'll defo go to the docs on Monday. Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now