Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

High lead levels in my tap water, am pregnant, and so worried.

(6 Posts)
Chocolateporridge Fri 07-Nov-14 15:40:41

After a leak was discovered to be coming from an old lead supply pipe I asked environmental health to test our drinking water. They've confirmed today that the levels are too high, 14ppm when the highest should be 10ppm.

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and I'm so worried. I also have a 4 year old daughter and all our drinking water has been coming through this poisonous pipe.

Obviously now we're drinking bottled water and I've asked my GP for a blood test, but I'm so worried that I've done permanent damage to my children.

Does anybody have any experience of this?

ThreeQuartersEmpty Fri 07-Nov-14 17:27:24

No experience sorry, but there is information on lead pipes on the water providers web sites. this is united utilities but your own water company will have info.

Have you made arrangements to change the pipes?

Be careful of the amount of sodium in the bottled water for the 4 yo and the baby.

ThreeQuartersEmpty Fri 07-Nov-14 17:46:03

Thinking further, there used to be lead in everything so try not to worry yourself too much.
Lead was in paint, and petrol, as well as pipes in houses.

acharmofgoldfinches Fri 07-Nov-14 17:50:23

None of us would ideally drink water that has been through lead pipes, but even if you have been doing it for years, it's unlikely that it will have done any of you any significant harm; lots of houses where we live still have lead pipes somewhere in the system, and the water company just gives advice to run the tap before using it, including if it's going into a kettle or saucepan, as lead isn't removed by boiling.

Before the 70s the pipes in most houses were ALL lead, and our parents' generation and the ones before them lived with it all their lives; there even used to be lead in the paint on cots and children's toys...

So although it's not a nice thought it is really, really unlikely that any of you - you, the baby and your four year old - have been damaged, so try not to worry too much smile

Chocolateporridge Mon 10-Nov-14 22:33:22

Thank you so much for all the reassurance. I've got an appointment for a blood test tomorrow afternoon but they don't want to test my 4yo dd for some reason hmm The Council seems to be treating it very lightly but I still feel really worried.

Parietal Mon 10-Nov-14 22:42:28

I grew up in a house with lead pipes, and so did my siblings. didn't seem to do us any harm.

my mum always used to flush the loo and run the taps for a couple of mins every morning, to clear out the water that had been sitting in the pipes overnight (and had the most lead). water that runs straight from the mains through the pipe to the tap doesn't have time to pick up lead. Only still water does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now