Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

One year old gets so very cold at night

(20 Posts)
PseudoBadger Tue 04-Nov-14 12:52:38

DD is 13 months. Every few nights she wakes absolutely freezing, not just on her hands/face/ears, but when you touch her down under her clothes on her torso she is very cool to touch.
Her bedroom is between 17 - 20 degrees, and since the first time this happened I have had her in a 3.5 tog sleeping bag and adjust clothing accordingly. Last night it was cold so she was in a long sleeved vest, pyjamas and the sleeping bag. She woke at 12.30 absolutely freezing all over so I put the arms on the sleeping bag and cuddled her for about an hour until she warmed up. Her room was at 18 degrees.
I'm worried that there's something wrong with her temperature regulation, does anyone have any experience of this and should I take her to the GP?

Bedsheets4knickers Tue 04-Nov-14 13:45:53

No experience but sounds like she has enough clothes on . I would maybe see doc. Can you record a few nights body temps to take with you x

PepsiTwirl Thu 06-Nov-14 18:55:25

keep the arms in the sleeping bag.

Can u get pj's with feet in?
Keeping her feet warm will make a difference

LemonySnug Thu 06-Nov-14 21:50:21

I would make an appointment with your GP. Also, it would be good to take her temperature a few times (both during the day and night, record the time as well as the temperature as temperature naturally fluctuates over time).

It could be response to a virus. Most get fever, some undercool and some get a period of fever followed by a period of low temperature. If the temperature gets too low it is quite dangerous. So if it is below say 35 C I would wake her, lots of skin to skin contact and give her something warm (not hot) to drink (milk, chamomile tea, etc.) and a biscuit (something to give her a quick energy boost). Maybe keep her with you. Alternatively, increase her room temperature to 20 C.

PepsiTwirl Thu 06-Nov-14 21:55:20

Don't give your baby tea in the middle of the night

Sidge Thu 06-Nov-14 21:58:02

3.5 togs isn't very warming - a summer weight duvet is usually 4.5 togs.

It may be that despite a long sleeve vest and PJs, even in a not-especially-cold room she is getting too cold. Young children aren't particularly good at controlling their temperatures.

I would try giving her a warmer duvet, or some blankets on top of her sleeping bag.

LindsayS79 Thu 06-Nov-14 22:20:19

My DD is 16 months and has always preferred to be warmer than the normal advice. I try to have her room about 19 C. When I know that the outside temp is going to take a dip I put her in a thermal vest, fleece pyjamas and a 3.5 tog sleeping bag with arms.
I've also resorted to a oil filled radiator with a thermostat to control the temp. But I do live in Scotland and my house is generally hard to heat grin

bearwithspecs Thu 06-Nov-14 22:47:49

I would freeze to death at 18 degrees and a 3.5 tog duvet. My DC would to. They wear fleece pjs and vests and have 13 tog duvets. Poor thing is prob just cold.

VerityWaves Thu 06-Nov-14 22:51:19

I think she needs blankets over her sleeping bag. I just think she's getting cold she needs to be covered up more.
Dd was like this as a baby still
Is, she needs to be really wrapped up.

Jellyrollgumdrop Thu 06-Nov-14 22:54:39

My dd 2 at that age, she's 3 now, went to bed, still does, wearing vest, Pjs, fleece onesie and 10.5 tog quilt....now she actually asks to keep socks on!! Our house is not particularly cold at night either....obviously takes after me...like to be toasty!

bearwithspecs Thu 06-Nov-14 22:59:17

Jelly I am glad it's not just us! Onsie will be put on as extra when cold really kicks in . Vest. Pjs. Onsie. Duvet ... And if that doesn't work they'll crawl in with us ...

dancingwitch Thu 06-Nov-14 23:03:24

Just a word of warning about togs. Sleeping bags do seem to have very low togs compared to duvets. Maybe it is something to do with the enclosed nature of them. Children under about 6 aren't supposed to have a duvet of more than 4 togs.

Jellyrollgumdrop Thu 06-Nov-14 23:10:09

Dancing I hear what you're saying but the reason she wakened during the night was because she was cold....doesn't stir now as she's nice & warm!

PseudoBadger Thu 06-Nov-14 23:50:41

Wow this has taken off! Thank you all.
In my defence she is literally only just old enough to have a duvet, and she moves around so much that one just wouldn't work for her right now.
Duvet togs are different to sleeping bags, 3.5 is the warmest available.
I have now got her some fleece onsies and am over dressing her, which feels very counter-intuitive but at least she is warm to the touch overnight. If it happens again (it's quite sporadic) then I'll take her temperature and record it.
DS is a little radiator and never felt the cold, still doesn't.

SDTGisASpookyWoooolefGenius Thu 06-Nov-14 23:57:49

When the dses were little, they wore vest, pyjamas or babygro and a fleece sleep suit, and had a duvet. Layers are the best thing, I think.

bearwithspecs Fri 07-Nov-14 07:28:46

Jelly I am with you again. Both mine are under 6. Both have 13 tog duvets but they get kicked off often hence best pjs and onsie. Heating kicks if if it gets below 16 in their rooms. As soon as they get cold they wake and come in with us and we all end up sleep deprived

Origamiheaven Fri 07-Nov-14 14:05:16

I agree with above posts. 3.5 tog is very thin and suitable for warmer weather. When my ds s were small, they slept under warm duvets as well as the thin sleeping bags. My sister lived in The Netherlands at the time and I remember buying a lovely cosy thick baby sleeveless sleeping bag from there. You could maybe find something online

PseudoBadger Fri 07-Nov-14 15:15:13

But it is literally the thickest baby/toddler sleeping bag you can buy. I refuse to accept that I have woefully underdressed a 13 month old in an 18-19 degree room. My DS survived colder temperatures in a 2.5 tog bag, 3.5 didn't exist then!

loveisagirlnameddaisy Fri 07-Nov-14 15:20:17

I've often wondered about grobag togs as they bear no correlation to duvet togs. The summer bag go as low as 0.5 tog whereas a summer duvet is around 4. So you can't say a 3.5 tog grobag isn't warm enough because you can't compare it to a duvet.

Sidge Fri 07-Nov-14 16:31:55

Toddlers don't need Grobags though, especially if they are cold little things. All children (like adults) feel the cold differently. Why not try a duvet? If they are warm and cosy they may not move around so much and may sleep better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now