Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 month old has the trots

(11 Posts)
froootbat Tue 04-Nov-14 07:14:51

I wanted to use a delicate euphemism because... Well it's grim really! Over the past two days she's been going more frequently (almost every nappy change during the day) and it's been a lot looser than normal, with some being liquid and one having mucous in it. She's also had nappy rash, which is clearing up now. I'd have taken her to a doctor yesterday had she seemed unwell but she is very much her usual smiley self, no temperature or anything.
Should I take her to the doctors today, or should I wait and see how she goes today, she's already pooed today and it was a LOT but not abnormal poo. Not sure what I should do, I'm worried but I worry about everything.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 04-Nov-14 10:58:51

I wonder if she's teething? That can bring on horrible nappies. As long as she's drinkng normally and her usual smiley self, stick with frequent nappy changes and copious barrier cream.

froootbat Tue 04-Nov-14 16:40:07

She's really smiley if she is teething, she was such a grumpus with her first two teeth so I don't know really. I hope it is, poor little mites bottom and bits and bobs look so sure sad

froootbat Tue 04-Nov-14 16:40:22

Sore, even.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 04-Nov-14 23:07:06

My DCs usually got cranky or developed red cheeks with drooling or crammed their fists in their mouths - but occasionally a few unspeakable nappies heralded them cutting teeth.

Along with her regular breast or formula milk you could limit her food to plain foodstuffs like toast, rice, apple for a few days just in case she's picked up a bit of a tummy bug.

Bottom line (no pun intended!) is, if this continues or she shows signs of distress, eg declines her usual liquid or food intake or you are simply concerned, do get her looked at by a health professional.

froootbat Tue 04-Nov-14 23:27:00

She's eating, drinking (well, as she normally would, not a fan of water) and playing as she normally does. I've looked at her gums and they seem non-toothy. If it carries on I'll go to the doctor, I'm just a bit reluctant because seems ok in herself, her nappies are disgusting however!!

Echocave Wed 05-Nov-14 22:36:35

This happens with dd every time she teethes (and a tooth doesn't necessarily erupt straight away but shortly after). Often with much drooling. I think it's either extra dribble in poo making it yucky or (in your case, given the number of dirty nappies), the teething suppresses the immune system and there's a bug. A common sign of a true tummy bug is white lumps of undigested milk in the stool (because unwell tummies don't digest dairy easily).

It sounds like a mild bug as I say. A doctor would probably say to look out for signs of dehydration (listless, pale particularly under finger nails, depressed fontanelle). If it were me, I'd cut back to aim food so as not to irritate the stomach (don't worry about milk, it's not great with tummy bugs but for babies there's little other option and the most important thing is hydration) and just keep up liquids, apple purée and banana.

I'm a panicker but at 7 months if your little one still has diahorrea after a couple of days, I'd take her to GP to be on the safe side. They may take a stool sample just to rule out a bug which is treatable by antibiotics.

Echocave Wed 05-Nov-14 22:37:30

Should say cut back to *plain food.

froootbat Thu 06-Nov-14 00:08:49

She's been much better today, a couple of dirty nappies that were still kind of icky but not so bad or bad smelling. Her bottom seems less sore as well which is good. She's still showing no signs of teething though, maybe she's swallowing her dribble instead of it coming out and going everywhere like last time?

Echocave Thu 06-Nov-14 00:21:44

Yes could well be. Is the poo mucousy? I think that can be excess saliva. Sounds like she's on the mend, fingers crossed.

froootbat Thu 06-Nov-14 02:13:39

It was when I posted this but hasn't been since smile I hope it was I was getting worried. Like I said, I'd have felt a wally taking her to see the doctor when other than her bottom she is absolutely her sweet smiley up at 2am self!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now