Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does my 11 week old have a cold and do I take him to GP

(12 Posts)
OliviaRinHerts Sun 02-Nov-14 20:15:07

Help please

My mother in law noticed our 11 week old was sneezing yesterday. He sneezes normally anyway so I wasn't worried but overnight he became very snuffly. He isn't feeding very well and has watery eyes so I'm thinking it is just a normal cold. I've given him saline drops and sat with him in a steamy bathroom.... He is being very brave and not crying but he is very congested and has lots of spit

He is my first baby so I don't really know what else to do and whether we go to the gp

Any advice??

Thanks in advance

tak1ngchances Sun 02-Nov-14 20:16:15

Have you taken his temp?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sun 02-Nov-14 20:19:01

My dd had a cold at 4 weeks. She was snuffly but had no temp. I didn't take her to the gp. I did squirt breast milk up her nose to dislodge the snot, worked a treat!

OliviaRinHerts Sun 02-Nov-14 20:20:10

Hi

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes I did. It was 36 point Something but definitely under 37. I'm going to keep monitoring this to ensure it doesn't go over 37 but am still worried.

OliviaRinHerts Sun 02-Nov-14 20:25:23

Thank you teenageninjaturtle. I read that last night actually.

I'm persisting with feeding him but he is only feeding for short bursts but I don't want him to be dehydrated. I feel terrible as he is so poorly.

How long did the cold Last?

tak1ngchances Sun 02-Nov-14 20:26:08

I would see how he is tomorrow and take him to the gp if you're still worried xx

OliviaRinHerts Sun 02-Nov-14 20:34:21

Thank you tak1ngchances. I will do. I appreciate the reply.

TakesTwoToTango Sun 02-Nov-14 20:37:51

Olivia, No need to take him just because he has a cold, as long as he's coping fine (and you are!). But if he's struggling to breathe at all, not feeding enough to keep his nappies wet and dirty or running a temperature, or even if your mummy senses just feel 'wrong' and you want some reassurance, then go and get him checked-out. It won't do any harm.

3littlefrogs Sun 02-Nov-14 20:42:11

It is really important to watch his breathing and temperature.
If he is breathing very fast and not feeding do take him.
There are some nasty viruses around at this time of year.

OliviaRinHerts Sun 02-Nov-14 21:05:01

3littlefrogs and takestwototango

He is coping- it's just me but I will be keeping a very close eye on him overnight. I don't think I will be getting much sleep that is for sure. I will be constantly checking on him.

Thank you

tak1ngchances Mon 03-Nov-14 07:11:42

How's he doing this morning?

OliviaRinHerts Mon 03-Nov-14 10:57:26

Morning tak1ngchances
Thanks for asking.
He is still the same I think. It's difficult to tell when they can't talk and when I have no experience. I have got some smiles from him this morning so he can't be too bad. I gave him the saline drops and he is now having a nap. He slept so much yesterday (on and off all day) so didn't sleep all night - he was grizzly at 330am so I fed him. I don't want him to dehydrate so am trying to feed him whenever I can. He didn't really settle after 330am but he isn't crying - just snuffly sneezing and coughing a little now. No temperature either and still getting wet nappies.

I will call the doctors surgery as have to chase his 12 week jabs anyway so will ask them what they think. I'm not so worried now though... Just a big scary when they first get ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now