Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Conjunctivitis but not gunky

(5 Posts)
PickledLily Sun 02-Nov-14 18:36:03

I know there are loads of threads on this but I can't see one that matches DDs symptoms, and I'm not sure which type of conjunctivitis it is.
She has a red eye, just in the corner of one eye. It doesn't bother her except when she wakes up, she says she has something in her eye. And there's no gunk.
Do I need to treat it? I'm assuming it will clear up on its own, and I just need to up the hygiene measures.

Missedcall974 Sun 02-Nov-14 19:24:13

Could be viral rather than bacterial conjunctivitis. If this is the case it would normal clear up on its own.

addictedtosugar Sun 02-Nov-14 19:28:14

If it was me, I think I'd wipe it with (home made) saline a couple of times a day, to try and ensure it didn't worsen.
How old is DD?
And yes, hygiene.

Showy Sun 02-Nov-14 19:32:42

Are you sure she has nothing in it?

Neither infective nor viral conjunctivitis require antibiotics as standard. Infective conjunctivitis only needs ABs if it's severe or not clearing up on its own after a fortnight. It's self-limiting otherwise.

Keep clean, no towel sharing.

PickledLily Sun 02-Nov-14 22:10:18

Thanks everyone. She is 2. I've had a look, but there doesn't seem to be anything in her eye. It's mainly the blobby bit (not sure of the technical term!) at the edge of the eyeball, in the inside corner of the eye that is red.

I'll just keep a watch on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now