Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this worth a GP visit?

(8 Posts)
Cabbagesaregreen Sun 02-Nov-14 12:39:33

Over the last few weeks dd has been complaining of different body parts suddenly going "dead". It might be a finger, hand, wrist, ankle or knee etc.
it doesn't last long and seems to happen randomly. She has occasionally dropped things she's been carrying when this has happened.
What could it be? Will a Gp think we're wasting their time?

PrettyPictures92 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:43:29

Hmm sounds a bit like her nerves are suddenly disconnecting, definitely worth a trip to the GP. Could be absolutely nothing, could be something. Is she in pain at all? How frequently is it happening?

tribpot Sun 02-Nov-14 12:44:53

I would go and ask for a referral, how old is dd?

Cabbagesaregreen Sun 02-Nov-14 12:48:38

Hi. She is 11. It doesn't hurt her when it happens. I would say it happens at least twice a day. She does have other health issues and I thought of mentioning it to her consultant who knows her well at our next appointment in January although I don't see any reason to think it would be connected. She has GERD and also some very minor issues with holding a pen and shoulder strength.

Cabbagesaregreen Sun 02-Nov-14 12:50:29

Her consultant is a gastroenterologist so probably not the right person but always been helpful. Who would she need to be referred to ? She has had a multitude of tests in the past for all sorts of things until diagnosed with Gerd.

PrettyPictures92 Sun 02-Nov-14 13:02:11

She can be referred to a neurologist, or to physio as they'd be able to help if it's a muscular thing instead of a nerve one. Is there a history of MS in your family?

Twice a day is a lot, definitely get to the GP. Does she have any feeling in whatever part has suddenly gone dead?

Cabbagesaregreen Sun 02-Nov-14 13:06:56

Hi. No ms in either side of the family. She says it's " dead" but also aches or hurts if she tries to move it. If her hand then she will drop what she is carrying.

PrettyPictures92 Sun 02-Nov-14 14:10:30

Hmm, it does sound like something is going on there but I'm not a doctor and I'd hate to make random suggestions and worry you if it turns out to be nothing. It could just be a random reaction, similar to growing pains or something. Best to get it checked out and put both of your minds at rest, I hope everything turns out to be ok flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now