Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu jabs post age 4/5

(2 Posts)
busymum72 Fri 31-Oct-14 11:55:58

Much to my annoyance, I am wondering why it is so difficult to obtain a flu jab, even privately, for my 8 year old? Given that school kids spread most diseases within seconds, why is the current vaccination programme only hitting reception year children?

I am told by my GP that the injection is licenced for use in ages 2 -16, but they will not administer it? I cannot even pay them for a private injection. BMI are not doing it, or BUPA, and Medi Centre who did it last year (they apparently have a new parent company who will not support this!)?
So my 8 year old is the only one in our house who has not been immunised... Finally this morning a private GP who will do it... cost £45...sainsburys £9? oh well.

Dear government, just a quick comment. With all the money that is being spent on advertising for people to have a flu jab, could some of this not been used on immunising children that would actually benefit this year? Being told by the GP that my daughter "might" get one next year is not really helpful.

Sirzy Fri 31-Oct-14 16:51:08

They are trialing rolling the program out nationally BUT the priority has to be getting those who are in at risk groups vaccinated before extending it elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now