Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Talk to me About benign myoclonic epilepsy

(3 Posts)
Poseypops Wed 29-Oct-14 20:46:47

My 1yo dd was just diagnosed with this. We are awaiting further tests to exclude additional causes (metabolic/tumor etc). It's rare so google doesn't give much info. I'm curious if any if you have experience of this type of epilepsy. When do they grow out of it? Any additional needs etc. be honest - we really need some real life stories.

Toucanet Wed 29-Oct-14 23:14:25

Sorry no direct experience (just temporal lobe myself since teens). Presume you've seen/spoken to Epilepsy Action - only seems to be one personal comment on their site anyway. On another site I saw sodium valproate mentioned as a common medication though which wouldn't be appropriate for an older girl but hopefully that's not an issue if your dd might grow out of it regardless of any meds/therapy applied now. Good luck.

Poseypops Sat 01-Nov-14 19:31:58

Thanks. Info is sparse on EA website but I may call them nxt week. No meds just yet, I wondered if anyone ever grew out of it without needing meds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now