Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How do I encourage my 10 month old to drink more water?

(3 Posts)
fruitbatbabies Wed 29-Oct-14 16:51:41

Hello.
My baby had breast milk for first 4 months, then I introduced breast milk in a bottle, then formula. No problems.
Drinking milk from a bottle fine, water from a bottle or sippy cup, no way! I've tried various brands of bottles/drinkers. Any ideas?
Do you struggle getting your child to drink water? Is this a common issue or am I alone!?
I'm feeding foods high in water of course but any other tips? Fruit juice is obviously a no no!
Thanks

TheRealMaudOHara Thu 30-Oct-14 14:44:27

Have you tried using a cup with a latex straw? My 13 month old never took a bottle and I worried a lot about his water consumption but he really took to the straws and drinks very well now. You might need to 'teach' your baby to use a straw which will take about 5 minutes (youtube have some really simple videos on doing this, they nail it surprisingly quickly). I used the Lansinoh 'Momma' straw cups at first and now we just use whatever's cheap in the supermarket.

NoMarymary Fri 31-Oct-14 19:14:55

How about making the formula milk (or some of it) progressively weaker and more watery. Maybe some baby squash which is so dilute it's barely coloured? Then dilute it further until it's water. Provided she is having plenty of wet nappies I wouldn't worry about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now