Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

8 week old dd problems? I'm not sure...

(15 Posts)
Binnie0309 Wed 29-Oct-14 12:52:24

This is my first post on mumsnet so please correct me if I've made any mistakes!

My dd is 8 weeks today and is exclusively formula fed. She used to have a bowel movement everyday but over the past fortnight it's gone to one every 3 or so days. It isn't hard in consistency and is quite runny. She seems in pain with wind a lot but I know this can be normal, but it's hard to see.
My confusion comes in as she's starting sicking up a lot more than she ever did before and is now (what I'd call) projectile vomiting at least once after every bottle, all down herself and me with the distinctive sour milk smell. She seems to me to be lethargic as well which has led to me taking her temperature at least once a day which is always normal.

I know I shouldn't but dr google came up with pyloric stenosis so I was wondering if anyone had experience of this and how I can go about asking a dr to take me seriously? I've been having trouble even booking in for a 6-8 week checkup so I don't have too much faith in them ATM! I feel I should mention that she was on the mycin family of antibiotics at birth and for 3 days after as I had GBS and she was at risk as they'd forgotten my second dose in labour(!) and not sure if that would have any lasting effect.

Can you tell I'm having ftm nerves!

Sootball Wed 29-Oct-14 12:55:28

Call your midwife. Explain you need to be seen and you are concerned.

Ftm or not trust your instincts. Mine started being projectile sick at that age and it turned out to be a posterior tongue tie. Ensure you tell your mw baby seems lethargic. I would expect them to take you seriously x

Theorientcalf Wed 29-Oct-14 15:32:18

My DS projectile vomited which turned out to be reflux and a milk protein allergy. My concern is you saying she's lethargic. Is she rousable and having plenty of wet nappies? If not you need to get her seen asap. She's 8 weeks old, a GP should never refuse to see a baby that young. Or phone 111.

Binnie0309 Wed 29-Oct-14 17:15:35

Thank you both for reading. She's perked up a bit since 4ish having slept most of the day and all of last night. I will ring the surgery tomorrow and if that's no dice I'll try 111.

I always thought the anxiety would disappear when I wasn't pregnant anymore!

Spooklingbrook Wed 29-Oct-14 17:24:40

Hi Binnie. My DS2 has Pyloric Stenosis when he was 5 weeks old. He was projectile vomiting after every feed.
Then I noticed he wasn't having many wet nappies, his soft spot had sunk and there were brown bits in the vomit.

I rang the NHS helpline who recommended we take him to A&E where he was diagnosed.

It was nearly 13 years ago now but if you have any questions i will answer if I can.

Binnie0309 Thu 30-Oct-14 11:42:45

Thanks spookling. When you noticed his soft spot had sunken was it just by touch or visible? Glad it was spotted! Parenting is very nerve wracking.

tobeabat Thu 30-Oct-14 11:48:24

It is totally nerve wracking! I was sent to a and e by my dr for similar symptoms. They did an ultrasound to check for ps. Turned out it was reflux, and we got treatment for that. I would just go down to a and e if i were you as you'll prob be sent there anyway. If it is ps, it is treatable, same if it's reflux and many other things. Take care and good luck. It does get better as they get bigger and more robust!

Spooklingbrook Thu 30-Oct-14 11:48:47

You could see it Binnie. By the time he was diagnosed he was vomiting every feed and we had to stop giving him any milk at all. It did get noticably worse as time went on.

How does your DD seem now?

Spooklingbrook Thu 30-Oct-14 11:49:57

Oh yes meant to say if it is PS it's a very small Op and everything back to normal straight after. didn't even have to take him back for a check up.

Binnie0309 Fri 07-Nov-14 08:52:04

Hi, it took a while but managed to get her in. The dr says it's reflux so very glad it's nothing worse! She's on gaviscon now so just waiting for it to take effect. I just feel so awful when she's throwing up even hours after a feed, her little face gets covered in it.

larrygrylls Sat 08-Nov-14 07:45:18

If it is reflux, gaviscon will help keep food down as it is a 'food stabiliser' ( it makes the food denser). It does nothing for the acid or pain, though. Babies with reflux need H+ antagonists, such as ranitidine. It is amazing how many GPs are still ignorant of this. If the acid persists you may end up with all sorts if food avoidance issues.

tobeabat Sat 08-Nov-14 10:29:42

Yes, ranitidine was what seemed to make a difference for us. Sympathies... Reflux is horrible to go through, but it does get better with age...

Binnie0309 Mon 10-Nov-14 12:53:54

Thanks larry, to me the pain doesn't seem to have gone away as she is still incredibly grumpy after a feed, continuing to cry. She has a check up this week so will ask the dr about it although I'm sure they'll just say to give the gaviscon some time as they always say
Thanks to everyone for helping smile

BuilderMammy Mon 10-Nov-14 13:35:52

Gaviscon isn't that effective at keeping stomach contents down anyway. In our experience (we've had two extreme refluxers) Carobel was far more effective. DS also responded well to Zantac initially, then Losec.

Could you ask for a referral to a paediatrician? We've never found GPs to be that great with reflux.

Binnie0309 Thu 04-Dec-14 16:13:49

Hi builder, thanks for the advice, I thought I would wait until I could post some kind of update. It's just gotten worse and worse and her weight gain has dropped from 50th percentile to 9th... But we have a referal to a paediatrician for next week so hopefully there will be good news and can put an end to the screaming in pain and projectile vomiting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now