Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Not eating after tonsillectomy

(4 Posts)
Mum2Nat Sat 06-Sep-14 22:34:02

DD, age 3.10, was discharged from hospital this morning following a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy yesterday. After the surgery she was unsettled, crying, but eventually ate a bowl of Coco Pops and drank a little, though not as much as we would have liked. The next morning she just about ate and drank enough to satisfy the nurses and reluctantly took her meds. Since we got home, however, she has hardly eaten or drunk anything, just an occasional mouthful of soft pear, a prawn, a sliver of chocolate. She even refuses the frozen yoghurt 'ice cubes' which she loved before the op. We're really worried about dehydration too as she's only taking sips of liquid (water, juice and milkshake offered). The medication is a total nightmare, we've had to force it down her. And day one is supposed to be relatively easy! It gets worse later on. We've obviously tried reasoning with her and it hasn't worked. Has anyone got any tips? Thanks.

chloeb2002 Sun 07-Sep-14 20:18:53

Ds had his androtonsikectomy aged 2. Far out! It was a nightmareconfused. He didn't eat before leaving. Under duress they let him home. I'm an Icu nurse so that swung it!
Endone ( oxycodone) liquid. Was my best friend for about a week. Pain relief is hugely important and Jeepers someone has just removed part of the throat it hurts!
Lots of fluids. Anything. Ds drank lemonade and coke. Flattened with some water.
It will pass ��

chloeb2002 Sun 07-Sep-14 20:20:43

Also she won't starve.. I promise. She may feed off anxiety if she sees you worrying about her not eating. Go with the flow. Chocolate mouse. Pain relief. More pain relief.. wink

Mum2Nat Sun 07-Sep-14 22:49:52

Thanks, Chloe. She is taking her medicine a bit better now that we've swapped the paracetamol provided by the hospital for Calpol. She has eaten some bizarre things like raw red pepper and a raw green bean but refuses ice cream and yoghurt! We will keep trying, anyway, and thank you for your help. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now