Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.
Can I take my baby home without doc's approval.(18 Posts)
Our lovely baby boy was delivered k Sunday morning via emergency section and was considdered healthy at birth. During our stay he developed jaundice and is currently being treated under a lamp. He also was running a temp and as a precaution the docs advised they fit a canula and run tests to check for infection.
They are fairly confident it's just the lamp causing him to heat up and I am hopeful that they are right however, even if it's nothing they plan to continue anti biotic for a further 42 hours anyway.
I can understand the concern and the precautions but for reasons I would rather not babble on about I want to get home.
If he is given the all clear, for infection and his jaundice is controlled enough to require no further action from them, can I refuse treatment and take him home even if they advise against it?
If we are both fit I don't want to stay. I have more than enough help at home.
Please don't bombard me with negativity. I know how it sounds, irresponsible and selfish..But I have my reasons for feeling so uncomfortable here that go beyond my own bed.
DS had jaundice and had to be readmitted when he was 5 days old, having been given the all-clear. I honestly wish they'd just kept me in, even though I absolutely hated the hospital/ward. I reckon it would be less traumatic to hang on in there for another day than to have to go through the rigmarole of readmission. Hope you get the all-clear soon, and enjoy your lovely newborn cuddles!
(By the way, jaundice develops 24 hours after birth, which is why your DS was healthy at birth.)
You may find they are keeping him on anti-b's for a further 48 hours because that's how long it takes to test the blood cultures for an infection - that's what happened with my DD (they need to let them develop for 48 hours or something - excuse my totally untechnical knowledge!). They kept her on the anti-b's for that time as it wasn't worth the risk of her having an untreated infection at that age.
Either way I would personally stick with their advice. Assuming it's the NHS they will only be keeping you in if they really think there is a risk - can't afford to do it just for the sake of it. Newborns are potentially vulnerable to death on both counts (jaundice and an infection) if the conditions aren't managed therefore I woudl personally stick with it but I'm not trying to minimise your desire to get home - I've really been there
If they are treating your newborn it's because they have medical concerns. They aren't doing it for a laugh. Why would you risk your most precious baby's health just to get home a day or two early?
I think you can take your baby home but if the doctors feel that it is not in his best interest then they will report to social services as a potential safeguarding issue. Really depends on how ill they feel he is or could be if he doesnt get the treatment.
Hang in there for another couple of days. Use the time to recover from your operation.
DD1 had jaundice and was under lights/in special care unit for a week after she was born. Because of the system I was in (Ireland) I was only able to stay in the room I was in for 4 days. After that I could either be discharged or transfer to another (6+ beds) ward.
I chose discharge. For the last 3 days she was in special care I went in and out to the hospital (we were about 25 minutes drive away), delivering expressed bm, and trying to feed her when I could (she was too sleepy to feed with the jaundice and was being bottle fed expressed milk with formula top ups).
It initially felt horrible leaving the hospital without her, but it meant I could get some half- decent sleep in my own bed, she was well cared for, and I could spend as much time in the special care ward as I wanted. I also had great support from the lactation consultant to re-establish feeding.
It's not an easy option, I know, but might it be something you consider? Especially if you really feel you need to leave the hospital. That way your DS gets the medical care he needs, but you aren't confined to the hospital.
I wouldn't risk it, I hate hospitals but the health of baby should be your top priority right now
It would seem I was misinformed (one of the several reasons why I don't wish to stay) and was lead to believe that the results would be back in a few hours.
as it happens, they are growing cultures and testing those.
Looks like we are here for a while. Also his Jaundice hasn't improved enough to stop photo therapy yet so he will need to remain under light for some time still anyway
Usually what happens is that infection is suspected,An Iv cannula is inserted and bloods are taken and sent for culture.Sometimes antibiotics are started as a precaution.Cultures take a minimum of 48 hours for initial inspection and up to 72 hours for full growth.The initial results you are talking about which are back in a few hours is the CRP which is a substance present in the blood which is raised during infection.(it should be below 3) however this is just a guide and cultures are the gold standard so to speak.jaundice in the newborn is not uncommon and is usually but not always linked to either infection or bruising in the healthy newborn.Most newborns have the ability to process and get rid of the jaundice without support so fast onset high levels of bilirubin suggest that something is wrong.Neonatal beds cost £2000 a day roughly in intensive care less in special or transitional care.they really don t treat babies without good reason in this money saving climate.I know it's rubbish that you are tired and it's not fair but I urge you to hang in there.
Antibiotics if there is low risk usually involve 3 days for the course to be complete usually one lot twice a day,and one lot once a day.Often the doctors then like 24 hours observation to be safe.So you will be home hopefully tomorrow or Friday morning.To help the jaundice feed baby as much as you can to wash out that bilirubin.If you had baby on Sunday today is milk day if your breast feeding or not.Your hormones are going to be all over the place and tears a constant You are also going to get a fairly impressive set of boobs today as they fill with milk big time so that's something to look forwards to.You may need to use a pump if baby's a bit slow to latch or boobs get a bit hard.Have a good day this is most likely as bad as its going to get.
Stay In if you can, both of mine got re admitted with jaundice
Absolutely stay in. I genuinely cannot think of a single reason why you would discharge him against medical advice. I know you didn't want negativity but there's nothing else I can say, he's tiny you can't take risks with his health.
Have you got someone to come in & stay with the baby while you go home, shower & have a short break?
It may make you feel better.
Thanks folks. Feeling a bit better now. Think hormones mixed with not knowing was driving me a bit loopy.
I know staying is our only option when it comes to my boy.
Glad to hear you're feeling better. How's your baby doing now?
Just echoing poster above. Day 4 can be really rough but onwards and upwards from there!
Congratulations on your new baby!
He is well. Out from under the lamp and his infection count has dropped back down so there may be nothing to worry about at all.
Just awaiting the results of follow up bloods to make sure his Jaundice isn't creeping up again.
If all goes well and cultures come back clear then we should get home on Friday.
Great news. Hope you are soon home and able to relax with your new baby.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.