Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler with blood on poo, I'm scared

(39 Posts)
mandmsmummy Mon 12-May-14 14:47:49

Please help.
My toddler went for a poo and it had blood through it. Scared to bits now x

MostlyMama Mon 12-May-14 14:48:41

Please take him to a GP instead of posting on Mumsnet. Silly really if you're so concerned.

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 14:49:10

Blood on the outside, or mixed in with it?

It can happen and it doesn't necessarily mean anything's wrong. Has she/he been straining?

AMumInScotland Mon 12-May-14 14:54:29

Red blood on the outside usually means straining. Dark blood in the middle means the problem is likely to be further up.

But yes, all we can say is 'Take him to the doctor. Get it checked out properly."

mandmsmummy Mon 12-May-14 15:01:18

Seeing doc later but panicking. It was red like a vein through it x

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 15:04:00

I'm pretty sure I pulled string out of ds's bum once confused It could be anything. Is he feeding/happy otherwise?

hairylittlegoblin Mon 12-May-14 15:06:14

Most likely a small tear from straining that will sort itself out but best to get it checked. The blood in poo warnings for adults are related to it being a symptom of bowel cancer in older people not children.

Please try not to worry, most likely explanation is a mildcase of constipation.

ilovemonstersInc Mon 12-May-14 15:08:11

My ds has dark blood in his poo from upper gastric bleeding (suffers a lot gastric side) when he had had red blood its been through straining while constipated. Do update us hope hes ok x

mandmsmummy Mon 12-May-14 15:37:54

Thanks

It was like a red vein type thing running through it. Not when wiped x

ilovemonstersInc Mon 12-May-14 16:06:16

Did you manage to either keep it or take a pic? I know its the last thing you think about but it helps Dr's to see what you mean. Has he been seen yet? Hope hes ok flowers

mandmsmummy Mon 12-May-14 17:39:50

I took the sample to the doc but you couldn't really see it. She didn't seem worried. Said to see if it happens again. I said I thought it was a red flag symptom and she said not in children x

tobysmum77 Mon 12-May-14 17:53:49

dd has had this I was told anal fissure. It isnt anything to worry about. Prunes are the way forward.

mandmsmummy Mon 12-May-14 17:54:54

She had a look for tears, piles etc but said it looked ok. Is an anal fissure on the inside so she wouldn't be able to see? Xx

tobysmum77 Mon 12-May-14 17:56:13

I think so yes, you couldn't see anything.

mandmsmummy Mon 12-May-14 18:02:50

Just panicked when I saw the blood :-( x

mandmsmummy Mon 12-May-14 20:31:29

Is it right that blood in childrens poo isn't a red flag like it is for adults?
My doctor said it wouldn't be anything serious. X

Cucumberscarecrow Mon 12-May-14 21:25:34

We have this too. Ongoing for a year. We have had lots of doctors' visits and referrals to hospital but paediatricians are unconcerned with blood in an otherwise healthy child as it is highly likely to be a fissure. It is very upsetting though and I know how you feel. x

mandmsmummy Mon 12-May-14 22:06:23

Really? How old is your little one? My friend who's a gp said it wouldn't be anything nasty in one so young xx

ilovemonstersInc Tue 13-May-14 08:08:59

Dont blame you for panicking
the fact that it was red is reassuring as its fresh so most likely from close lower end. Anything darker means bleed from higher up and then until you get the right dr they dont know what to do!

mandmsmummy Tue 13-May-14 14:34:33

Update, just had a poo and no blood this time. X

mandmsmummy Tue 13-May-14 16:04:04

But she has wet herself four times today. Any link? She's had lots to drink mind xx

naty1 Tue 13-May-14 17:10:56

What was she drinking?

mandmsmummy Tue 13-May-14 18:27:00

Squash as normal but more than usual xx

mandmsmummy Wed 14-May-14 18:12:32

What scares me is rather than putting my toddler through awful procedures I just have to hope it's nothing because the doctors say so. X

tobysmum77 Thu 15-May-14 07:46:28

remember it isnt always a red flag symptom in adults either. It can be a symptom of bowel cancer, yes, but I have some erm piles issues blush and I sometimes see blood if they are flaring up. I don't go running to the doctors because I'm pretty certain that's what it is.

We could all have cancer without symptoms, a head ache could be a brain tumour etc but we kind of have to accept its extremely unlikely and get on with life.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: