Spasmodic croup

(3 Posts)
EverythingsDozy Mon 07-Apr-14 22:15:07

Does anybody have any experience of spasmodic croup? My daughter will occasionally wake in the night coughing and barking. She's upset and frightened and every time she inhales it sounds like an old seal! She is coughing so much that she proceeds to be sick.
She has had it before and had it this evening, will probably wake again tomorrow but not again for another few weeks.
I've had a little google and spasmodic croup came up as a possibility. Does anybody have any experience of this? What did you do? What did you tell / when did you go to the GP? What happened afterwards?
I feel so bad for her but I must be honest, I'm fed up of sharing my bed with a walrus! I remove her from her bedroom and have her in mine so I can keep an eye on her and because she shares a room with her brother who I don't want to wake up!!!

OP’s posts: |
Sirzy Tue 08-Apr-14 08:46:47

DS gets spasmodic croup. If it is mild I open the window and the cold air quickly helps it.

He often ends up in A and E needing steroids but that is only needed if it is effecting their ability to breath - I think because DS is asthmatic it hits him harder.

unintentionalthreadkiller Tue 08-Apr-14 16:57:32

My twins have had it a few times this year and ended up in A&E for the steroids - perfectly fine before they go to bed and then wake up with the barking. They said to bring them in if they are doing the really sucky in tummy breathing, its called stridor I think. Some children are just prone to it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in