Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Stupid asthma question #437!

(6 Posts)
grumpalumpgrumped Thu 03-Apr-14 21:46:23

I feel like i should know all about asthma by now but........can children wheeze whilst asleep? DS1(5) has had a rough month with asthma, has seen GP, uppped clenil, started antihistamines. Has struggled today (pollution?) and so i have been checking him, sure i can hear a slight wheeze (generally he is not a wheezer, more a cougher).

Do i wake for ventolin, guessing he would wake if bad?

Sirzy Thu 03-Apr-14 21:50:07

yes they can wheeze whilst sleeping. If your worried give some ventolin, or just see how he goes.

grumpalumpgrumped Thu 03-Apr-14 21:57:31

Thank you, just checked and seems less noisy so maybe pre bed meds have kicked in. Will check him regularly and see.

grumpalumpgrumped Fri 04-Apr-14 13:31:25

Peaceful night, but had 4 puffs before 9 today. Will see what the day brings.

ithaka Fri 04-Apr-14 13:36:37

When DD was little & coughing in her sleep, I would use the face mask thing you get with the spacer to give her clenil & salbutomol in her sleep. It is chucking it down here, but I am glad I am not down south with the pollution as I know DD would struggle.

From bitter experience, give as many puffs as necessary to keep those pipes open. Once they start shutting down you are on a rearguard action & hospital looms...

grumpalumpgrumped Fri 04-Apr-14 13:54:32

Thanks, that's what I am afraid of.

I have struggled with breathing today and I am not asthmatic, just horrible hayfever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now