Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nappy Rash - caused by HFMD, thrush or allergy?

(3 Posts)
EagleRay Wed 02-Apr-14 22:11:55

14mo DD was BF up until about 10 days ago, when we switched to formula, and she now has about 3 small bottles a day.

She's at nursery full time and today I got a call from them to say they suspected she had hand, foot and mouth disease as had a rash on her body, mostly in the nappy area. There's several confirmed cases in the room she's at in the nursery, so thought it was cut and dried that she had it. Took her to the GP who said she didn't think it was, but thought it could be thrush and gave me a prescription for thrush cream.

She's never had nappy rash, and this looks horrific - clusters of blistery red spots, but doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. In fact, she's pretty happy - eating and drinking normally too.

We're keeping her off nursery tomorrow to see if anything develops further or if the rash starts to clear up (it's a nightmare as we both work full time and DP is normally away during the week but has had to come home to look after at home tomorrow). Meanwhile, I'm trying to think if there's anything that could have caused the rash other than HFMD. Here's what I've come up with:

- she was weaned off BF about 10 days ago, and drinks formula as stated above. In addition, the nursery have told me they've used Aptamil on her breakfast cereal for some time prior to this.
- she's got eczema on her back and shoulders for about 2 months
- she doesn't have any spots or blisters on her hands or feet or mouth (hence the questionable HFMD diagnosis by the nursery)
- in the last few days, her poo has got more frequent and more runny, and yesterday I noticed that it really, really stinks. I actually can't remember the last time she did a solid poo - possibly several months ago?
- she's teething - there hasn't been any teeth appearing for months, but in last week or so we've got molars and incisors appearing
- her tummy is usually a bit distended, but tonight I thought it was even more so - it seems very disproportionate to the rest of her
- she doesn't seem to be in any pain, digestive or otherwise, and over the last week she's slept through the night, so no complaints there

Sorry for long post - any ideas would be most welcome. If it is HFMD, then we will just have to sit it out, but am worried that we're feeding her something that's not agreeing with her sad

ilovepowerhoop Thu 03-Apr-14 16:19:23

is there any particular reason you are giving formula rather than full fat cows milk as cows milk is fine from age 1?

EagleRay Thu 03-Apr-14 20:55:46

There was a reason why we decided to go with formula rather than cow's milk but I can't remember what it was!

Meanwhile, DD has developed some spots on her face this eve and so it looks like she's got hand, foot and mouth after all, although she had MMR two weeks ago too, so pondering over that theory as well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now