Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! Found out today DS is short sighted

(17 Posts)
mummyblues Tue 01-Apr-14 21:23:04

DS had his appointment with the Ophthalmologist today
He is short sighted
left eye is - 1.75 with slight stigmatism and right eye is - 1.25
I don't think it is a strong prescription but because he is short sighted, am I right in thinking is it less likely to correct itself as he grows??

has anyone had a similar experience with their DC?

very sad as he is only 4 years old and will have to wear glasses full-time sad

stargirl1701 Tue 01-Apr-14 21:26:02

Don't be too sad, OP. I was short sighted as a child. I wore glasses until secondary school and then wore contacts. I had laser eye surgery in my 20s and now I often forget I was short sighted!

MidnightHag Tue 01-Apr-14 21:43:35

Yes. DS1 at same age as yours. Really not a big problem, OP. Feel glad that it's been discovered and sorted. smile

Twighlightsparkle Tue 01-Apr-14 22:07:32

Really feel for you, he will really notice a difference with the glasses and its good its been picked up.

There's every chance he won't grow out of it, longsighted is different.

mummyblues Tue 01-Apr-14 22:11:16

Yes, I read that longsightedness is easier to correct itself but shortsightedness generally gets worse as he gets older!
I thought he might be longsighted as thats more common in young children.

Roseformeplease Tue 01-Apr-14 22:12:40

My DS was about the same. No problem at all and now, aged 13, has contacts. He will save for laser surgery when he is old enough.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 01-Apr-14 22:17:03

Like others I wore glasses from that age, then progressed to contacts, and finally to laser surgery.

Don't be sad.He's only wearing glasses.One of my dc's wears glasses and will probably need surgery for her eye problems.

Longsightedness is the one they can grow out of.

brettgirl2 Wed 02-Apr-14 07:18:27

DD also failed the school eye test and has her appointment tomorrow. Lots of people wear glasses, as he gets older he can wear contacts/ possibly opt for lasering.

Dh wears glasses, if dd needs them then it's hardly the end of the world.....

I think with all these things as a parent you have to be positive. Wearing glasses is only a problem if you make it into one!

TurnOffTheTv Wed 02-Apr-14 07:27:50

I'm a dispenser in an opticians, and myopic children very rarely grow out of. Their astigmatism might change, but they will generally need glasses/contacts forever, unless they have laser surgery. There are so many lovely glasses to choose from these days, the children aren't normally bothered!

Oldandcobwebby Wed 02-Apr-14 07:41:53

I really don't see the problem here. I have been wearing glasses since age 5. Lots of people wear glasses. Why is this any sort of issue?

starfishmummy Wed 02-Apr-14 07:52:43

I agree with Oldandcobwebby. With two short sighted parents we were surprised to be told ds was slightly long sighted and woold probably grow out of it. He did and is now shortsighted. Hardly the end of the world

atthestrokeoftwelve Wed 02-Apr-14 08:08:37

Why is it very sad? I assume your son is fit and healthy- we are two glasses wearing parents and havbe one child with glasses- I really don't see it as a big deal.

When I was at school poor eyesight was hugely underdiagnosed, with most children never recieving a test until teenage years. Therefire kids wearing glasses was a rarity.
Times have changed however and children are tested at various intervals, so even mild problems are picked up uopn. This has led to many more children wearing glasses, so the stigma that I experienced is simply not there any more.
Your son has a very weak prescription so possibly will only need to pop on his glassses for the duration of a lesson, and won't have to wear them for sports or games.

Don't feel sad, kids are very adaptable.

mummyblues Wed 02-Apr-14 09:03:05

I know I shouldn't worry as there are worse things out there! its just a natural reaction at the beginning mainly as I see it a a burden for such a small child! if he was older it would have been easier to accept! Also knowing that he there is no hope of them improving and only getting worse (as he is shortsighted) makes it harder.
Anyway the main thing is DS is actually looking forward to wearing them and is not sad about it at all.

Thank you all for your comments and experiences! I am feeling a bit more positive about it today and looking forward to choosing some very trendy frames for my boy! going to the local Optician this Saturday smile

atthestrokeoftwelve Wed 02-Apr-14 09:12:25

Glasses are cool and funky, and need not be a burden- there are some amazing bendy frames for kids. Ask around f to find achild friendly opticians though, our local optician is a bit stuffy. I find specsavers good for kids.

really1234 Wed 02-Apr-14 09:22:59

Kids get on with it. DS has worn glasses since he was 11 weeks old. I was initially upset but seeing as they had originally told us he may be blind, glasses really aren't a burden.

There are loads and loads of good kids glasses around these days, it is very different to the blue or pink NHS glasses that kids wore when I was little. Try to find a good optician who will order in different sizes of frames to fit your child if they see one hey like. A lot of the bigger opticians can't or won't do that.

DS is 13 now and when he was little had Noddy, Harry Potter, Action Man glasses. Although now favours trendy names of the day, which cost a bit more but worth it. He is not a candidate for laser surgery due to complications and previous eye surgery so will be wearing glasses for life.

Really don't worry about it, there are far far worse things.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 02-Apr-14 17:11:09

dd (10) is long sighted and has had glasses since she was 18 months old. As she has quite a high prescription she will always need glasses (has the option of contact lenses too)

mummyblues Thu 03-Apr-14 10:13:07

So I guess even if you are long-sighted it does not mean you can always grow out of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now