Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 year old ds has possible uti

(3 Posts)
craziedaisy Tue 01-Apr-14 21:05:40

My 7 year old ds started to complain of pain in his left side of his tummy low down a week ago. He has had this in the past and it always seems to coincide with needing to open bowels. It went on a while and then seemed to pass off. Didn't mention again for 4 days then suddenly complained again. Still on the left side. Within a few hours it had passed off until returning again yesterday afternoon. He has a history of ibs type symptoms and has had times of having mucus in stools. He then started with a fever which has continued today but tummy pain worse. Took him to GP as worried it could be appendix but GP happy at the moment as confinded to the left side that it's not. Thought probably just virus but I asked if it could be a uti. Said he didn't think so as bladder wasnt sore to touch but bowel was when he felt his tummy. He then got him to produce a specimen which proved inconclusive but be couldn't ruled out so sent away for analysis. GP then said as inconclusive he could try antibiotics if we wanted to try them. Given script for trimethoprim. Just read side effects which could include meningitis and I just don't know whether he should take them. Does this sound like uti? Wwyd?

craziedaisy Wed 02-Apr-14 02:44:24

Anyone?

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Wed 02-Apr-14 07:29:05

Doesn't sound like a uti to me, but you are worrying unecessarily about the Trimethoprim. Side effects are always scary but in reality perfectly safe for the vast majority. But the lab result should be back in 24-48 hours so you could ring for that before deciding

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now