Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

toddler with fever

(7 Posts)
caramelchaos Mon 31-Mar-14 22:06:31

hello! my 22 month old has had a fever on and off for 48 hours - it is spiking as high as 39° at times but an hour later he can be back to normal. he seems OK other than this... happy and playing away. He's asleep now but still toasty hot. He has had high temps on the odd occasions since starting nursery 8 months ago, and when I've taken him to the gp, we're just sent home again with the instruction to take calpol, keep room cool yadda yadda..... Does anyone else have experience with frequent fevers? any good tips for helping bring a fever down? sad

FantaSea Mon 31-Mar-14 22:19:53

My DD always got a temperature with every illness she had. I used to alternate calpol and nurofen so she always had something in her system - I used to write down what I gave when as it is easy to get in a muddle when you are short of sleep.

I would dress your DS lightly and put a fan near him, if you have one, and make sure you give him plenty of fluid.

I used to put a cold flannel on DD's head too.

caramelchaos Mon 31-Mar-14 22:38:11

hi fanta... I've got him in bed with his PJ bottoms on and a sleeveless vest and windows and door open. I gave him calpol and neurofen together about 9 and he seems cooler now. he had febrile convulsions in the past due to high temperature and I'm super wary now when he overheats! I feel that all I've done over the last few months is worry about feverish toddler and calpol!

FantaSea Tue 01-Apr-14 11:18:34

How is he today? Hope he is a bit better. My DD had a febrile convulsion when she was 2 and it was the most frightening thing ever - I still think about it now and she is nearly 18! Apparently it is the speed at which the temperature rises, rather than the actual height of the temperature itself, which causes the convulsion so I was on red-alert all the time. It was a very stressful time and such an awful worry.

PansOnFire Tue 01-Apr-14 11:34:51

Hope your DS is feeling better today, I'm in the same position today as my 16 month old has an on/off fever which has been going on for 48 hours too. He's also fine in himself and is drinking water, he's had a little bit to eat too but his cheeks are bright red and when his temp spikes he seems really poorly. The dr said it's a virus but that he should have improved by tonight. Alternating Calpol with ibuprofen is all I've been advised to do, but I'm going straight back to the dr if that stops working.

FantaSea Tue 01-Apr-14 11:37:05

We were told that the up and down nature of the temperature indicated that it was likely to be a virus. I used to get worried about the amount of calpol/nurofen we would get through - it was practically a drink some of the time.

Pans hope your DS is better soon too.

Boris13 Tue 01-Apr-14 20:26:52

Opening windows and using cool flannels isn't recommended as it can make the body go into shock and actually makes the child worse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now