Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Asthma at Primary School age - New to this - Help please?

(4 Posts)
TiredAndBeenCrying Sun 30-Mar-14 22:30:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Littlefish Sun 30-Mar-14 22:42:09

I'm a nursery teacher. If a child comes and tells me they need their inhaler, then I give it to them. There is nothing that can go wrong if they have their blue inhaler, but everything can go wrong if they don't!

Just to be clear, I don't just rely on the child telling me they need it. I'm also aware of those children who have inhalers who might start coughing, or just be a bit quieter than usual.

It also helps if the parent tells me that morning if they have been a little wheezier than normal in the night, or have a cough/cold or have already had their inhaler that morning.

I would say that being a bit tired/breathless at breaktime is exactly the signal that the inhaler is needed, if your ds feels it would help.

BackforGood Sun 30-Mar-14 22:52:09

If a child has an inhaler in school, then they should also have a Care Plan. Basically this is a document drawn up between the parent, the school, and a health professional (generally the school nurse not not exclusively so) which sets out when they should have any medication in school. All staff should then follow this advice.

TiredAndBeenCrying Sun 30-Mar-14 22:52:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now