Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any dr or pharmacists about!?....antibiotic query....

(5 Posts)
Badvoc Sun 30-Mar-14 18:20:06

My ds2 (5) came home from school ill last Monday.
The dr dx ear infection and conjunctivitis - his eyes looked like something from the exorcist! sad
She gave him amoxicillin and chloramphenicol eye ointment.
All ok.
Then about 5am on Thursday morning he spiked a very high temp, was complaining of bad headache and feeling sick. Also his eyes were bothering him and his skin had a definate purple mottled look. Temp did not come down with calpol. I rang 111 and they sent a paramedic who gave him a check and and advised he needed to see a gp to get his meds changed.
The dr changed his AB to co amoxiclav and asked to see him again the next day to assess him (he looked really poorly)
We saw a different dr on Friday who dx tonsillitis !!!! He has white stuff on his tonsils so I am sure he was right.
I queried if co amoxiclav was the best rx and he said not really- usually penecillin - but keep on with it.
So it's now Sunday and his tonsils have still got white stuff on...after 4 days of co amoxiclav.
Wwyd?
Should I take him back and ask for penecillin?
Tia x

PennySillin Sun 30-Mar-14 18:23:00

Is he feeling any better?

Badvoc Sun 30-Mar-14 18:27:00

His eyes are loads better!
Am not sure really...I would have said he was getting better last week but then Thursday came and ppffttt.
He is eating, albeit not as much as usual.
Am pushing fluids.
I would hate to get to the end of the co amoxiclav and then have to take him back anyway for penecillin iyswim?

TabithaMcKitten Sun 30-Mar-14 19:18:26

Hi, did you know that co-amoxiclav is a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid? Amoxicillin is a penicillin and clavulanic acid essentially enhances the effects of the amoxicillin.

I hope he is feeling better in the morning!

Badvoc Sun 30-Mar-14 19:25:25

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now