Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help toddler with tonsilitis can't get him to drink

(15 Posts)
lgwilk Sat 29-Mar-14 18:11:44

He has had high temp since tues. gp on wed told not to worry he would be ok thurs/fri. He's been up all night and has raging temp still. Can't get him to drink or eat anything at all. Have tried ice cream, lollies, juice in fave cup etc. am out of ideas and he's in danger of dehydration. aargh this is awful. Any ideas gratefully received.

mousmous Sat 29-Mar-14 18:13:49

have you given him pain relief? must hurt like a bugger.

Sirzy Sat 29-Mar-14 18:15:22

Difflam spray is a godsend.

Dilidali Sat 29-Mar-14 18:16:17

Out of hours doctors, at least they can have a look and reasses.
If you pinch the back of his hand, does the skin take a while to go back, or does it spring back down? (one way to see if he is dehydrated).

lgwilk Sat 29-Mar-14 18:16:22

Yes he's fully dosed with calpol and nurofen. Also started on antibiotics this afternoon. Doc said its really bad. Poor little monkey. hmm

MrsBennetsEldest Sat 29-Mar-14 18:17:57

Ice lollies.that what I gave mine when they had a poorly throat.

SJisontheway Sat 29-Mar-14 18:18:02

Jelly? Used to keep my dd going when she had a bad dose.

lgwilk Sat 29-Mar-14 18:18:17

Thanks all. We saw out of hours today and if he's not improving we will be back tomorrow. He is so sad. Never seen him this poorly hmm

Sirzy Sat 29-Mar-14 18:20:54

Milkshake?

I have syringed fluids into DS before now as a last resort. 10ml every 10-15 mins.

FantaSea Sat 29-Mar-14 21:24:46

Would he take some fluid from a spoon? Even a few spoonfuls is better than nothing.

I he has started on antibiotics today he should pick up quite quickly - tomorrow he will probably be feeling a bit better.

Good luck - it is horrible when they are ill.

GinSoakedMisery Sat 29-Mar-14 21:26:47

Ice lollies, fruit pastille ones are nice. Or maybe a smoothie?

When ds2 had really bad chicken pox fruit pastille lollies were the preferred ones, nothing else passed his lips.

BattyBarbara Sat 29-Mar-14 21:31:23

Chilled puréed tinned fruit. Sounds daft but chilled tinned pears kept mine going, that and sucking on cucumber sticks from the fridge!

Don't give him anything milk based (eg ice cream) - I was told it increases saliva which if he's struggling to swallow will make it worse.

Boris13 Sun 30-Mar-14 21:46:42

How is he doing now?? syringe fluids, 5 mls, into side of mouth every 10 minutes..

guineapig1 Sun 30-Mar-14 21:55:07

Jelly and fruit smoothies that he can suck with a straw

lgwilk Mon 31-Mar-14 07:33:57

Thanks all. He's a very stubborn little thing. We ended up having to syringe it in whilst holding him down. It was awful. But seemed to to the job. The antibiotics are starting to kick in and hopefully were on the way to recovery. Got a freezer full if lollies and ice cream that he's not interested in. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now