Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does she have a squint?

(14 Posts)
Jax2218 Fri 28-Mar-14 22:47:03

Hello,

Can someone please put my mind at ease. Tonight my 5 year old daughter rolled her eyes at me (cheeky monkey) but i noticed her left eye looked a little funny. I got her to keep her head straight and look upwards with her eyes. Her left eye (whilst looking up) wandered over to the left a little. She had her eyes tested not long a go, but I haven't ever noticed it before. I am going to take her to the opticians, but now I am worried. Is this normal. Her eyes don't squint any other way, they move at the same speed, looking left to right they look the same. Its just when moving her eyes upwards.

Any thoughts?? thank you for reading

Jackie

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Fri 28-Mar-14 22:56:08

Having just picked up the same with DC2, I would suggest you take her to your optician for an exam - the optician can refer on to an Orthoptist, who can establish whether a squint is present and get the ball rolling if treatment is necessary.

Jax2218 Fri 28-Mar-14 23:07:45

Hi thanks for replying,

Have you seen anybody for it?

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Fri 28-Mar-14 23:09:28

Posted too soon.

Apparently DC2's squint probably isn't harming her binocular vision as her eye goes slightly out rather than in. As it's not visible when she looks straight ahead, Orthoptist thought it would become less noticeable as she grows taller and spends less time looking up at people! Surgery can correct it, but as there's a risk of over-correction it might not be worth it.

FWIW when this all kicked off, I was fretting with my DSis who pointed out that her own adult DD had exactly the same. I had honestly never noticed!

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Fri 28-Mar-14 23:14:54

Aaargh - did it again!

As DD is younger, she'll be monitored every few months to see whether anything changes and whether active treatment is needed. The next step is a detailed baby eye test to check that it's not because of any underlying prescription, as if it were then she'd need that corrected in the first instance with glasses.

Orthoptist did tell me that binocular vision keeps in developing until age 7ish (so 5 isn't too late!) and that a slight outward-facing eye is generally considered more socially acceptable than one facing inwards.

Jax2218 Fri 28-Mar-14 23:21:17

I am pretty sure I would have noticed this before now, she is always pulling funny faces, it seems to be a new thing and that is what is worrying me.

Her eyes are very straight in every other sense. If she was staring straight at me the eye wouldn't move off from that fixed position it would remain fixed. Its just when the eyes are looking up without her head moving if that makes sense.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Fri 28-Mar-14 23:22:22

Is she tired/ run down? DD's is only obvious if she's tired, bless her.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Fri 28-Mar-14 23:24:47

And yes - DD's is only there when she looks up and to one side. Orthoptist lost me a bit in the explanation but apparently it's a particular eye muscle which isn't as strong as the other eye muscles working in other directions. I think.

Jax2218 Sat 29-Mar-14 21:15:09

Hi well I called a few opticians. One said go to your gp, the other told me to take her to a&e and one gave me an appointment.

So it's apparently happening in both eyes, only when looking upwards so obv the eye muscles. So he is referring her to the hospital, in the meantime we are going back to the optician on Wednesday for a few more tests to gather as much information as we can.

Twighlightsparkle Sat 29-Mar-14 22:29:59

Ask gp for orthotic referral, sounds like a V Exotropia pattern. V common , nothing to worry about, but best to check out

Twighlightsparkle Sat 29-Mar-14 22:30:18

Orthoptic

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Sat 29-Mar-14 23:07:39

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for an Orthoptist, I think our referral only took three weeks before first appointment.

Jax2218 Mon 31-Mar-14 09:25:22

Thank you

Jax2218 Mon 31-Mar-14 09:29:33

Sorry went too soon

I guess I was just worried because to my knowledge I have never seen this happening with her before. She is very expressive with her eyes, they are huge. It wouldn't be an easy thing to miss. So why would it start now?

Oh well, we will see what's happens from now on. Thank you for your advice and support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now