Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Terrible motion sickness

(3 Posts)
Jamjars22 Fri 28-Mar-14 14:46:50

I have always been terribly car sick. However, it is one of those things that I always thought was slightly psychological i.e. you work yourself up into believing it etc and that makes it much worse. I didn't think it would be something 'hereditary'.

When my son was a newborn he always cried so so SO much whenever we were in the car and I did wonder whether maybe he was getting car sick. he is now 2.5 and throws up without fail every time we are in the car. Sometimes he is sick a little while after we have gotten out of the car.

Last weekend we went away and he was saying he felt sick on the way but it was night time so he soon fell asleep. When we arrived I put him straight in bed without much wake up. About an hour later he was sick but went easily back to sleep once I had cleaned up. The next day he was sick again but as soon as he had finished seemed totally fine. He was sick the following morning too and then in the car on the way home.

He hasn't been sick since and was so unbothered seeming (he had a terrible bug about three weeks ago and was miserable and lethargic etc) so I think it can't have been a bug. Am I mad to think it might be related to being in the car? Like his tummy is so sensitive it can't cope with the churning?

And does anyone have any advice about dealing with this in general? We go away quite a lot, visiting friends etc. We went away yesterday and took the train but cost wise it just isn't sustainable. I don't want to stop going away but certainly don't want to put him through having to feel car sick on a regular basis.

Boris13 Fri 28-Mar-14 15:47:29

You can get tablets he can chew about an hour before the car journey, they sell them in chemists

Also there are wrist bands that he can wear too, for motion sickness, have a Google for them

Boris13 Fri 28-Mar-14 15:48:31

Also helped me.to face way of travel and.to see what's ahead, not look out of side window.

Also to have window open Abit and no smelly air.freshners.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now