Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nits or dry scalp?

(5 Posts)
janpa Thu 27-Mar-14 14:32:18

DD had nits three times towards the end of last year and she now has lots of white bits in her hair, mainly near the scalp, but they do come off easily & aren't clinging to the hair strands. Her scalp does look dry (I get dandruff now and again, although hairdressers call it a dry or flaky scalp - think dandruff is not PC!). I have used Vosene 3 in 1 shampoo and the smelly spray that goes with it for the last few washes (both put off nits) and I haven't seen anything moving in her hair. I did the Nitty Gritty comb through last night & she doesn't seem to be scratching more than you would expect a child to scratch. Don't know if I'm just paranoid about nitty things after last year's attacks, but how do I tell the difference between nits and dry scalp and what can I do if it is a dry scalp? confused Sorry for rambling blush

ilovepowerhoop Thu 27-Mar-14 14:34:11

if they are white then they could be empty egg cases or it could be dandruff (eggs with lice in are darker). If you have checked with the nitty gritty and found nothing then it is unlikely to be head lice.

janpa Thu 27-Mar-14 14:48:44

Ah, definitely white and no darker ones. Sounds like I could be paranoid. She always wears her hair in plaits at school, so I do try to minimise her getting them again, as she first got them on a day where I relented and let her wear her hair down. She learnt her lesson good and proper!

littleredsquirrel Thu 27-Mar-14 14:50:30

a nit looks like a teardrop and will only come off if you slide it all the way down the hair shaft. It sounds like a flaky scalp

janpa Thu 27-Mar-14 14:55:15

Thank you, I can shake these off, which is why I had thought flaky scalp too. Can you recommend anything for a flaky scalp, or should I use cradle cap shampoo (think it's Dentinox).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now