Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

is my 2 year old slow?

(13 Posts)
Deenamumof1 Thu 27-Mar-14 13:31:13

Im in tears just writing this, I am 22 and a first time mum but im struggling with y 2 year old, he says around 24 words not all clearly but I know what he means and so does he. He is the worlds fussiest eater and literally has gone of nearly everything bar junk. Today 3 of my friends came round that he hardly sees and he clung to me the whole time wouldn't even look at them, hes not shy around other kids or any member of the family just people hes not used to, I then made his lunch and got his table ready but as soon as I sat him in his chair he climbed straight out and clung to me again, I asked my friends to wait outside and pretend they were leaving to see if he'd eat, as soon as they left he ate (hardly anything but more than when they were here) im not sure if im being paranoid or wether he is slow, as i know some mothers whos 2 year old count to 10.
Sorry for the long post, please no hate im just scared

givemeaclue Thu 27-Mar-14 13:33:46

He sounds fine, lots of 2 year olds are shy around strangers and fussy about food. Your friends children may be able to recite numbers to 10 that does not mean that they can count, if you put 6 things in front of them they are unlikely to be able to assess the quantity as 6. Speak to your hv if you need reassurance.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Thu 27-Mar-14 13:36:30

I don't think that sounds slow at all. He sounds like a normal two year old to me. Some two year olds will say more, some less, they all develop at their own rate.

If he wasn't saying any words at two it might be a worry but 24 words is great!

I think fussiness is very normal at this age, and the clingyness is because he is secure in his attachment to you. smile

If you are worried I would speak to your health visitor about your concerns but I don't think you should be worrying too much. smile

Deenamumof1 Thu 27-Mar-14 13:39:12

I suppose they dont even know what 10 is its just something they do. Thanks for the advice, im a worrier lol

Deenamumof1 Thu 27-Mar-14 13:40:06

Thank you, I love this forum! Helps so much!

IdaClair Thu 27-Mar-14 13:40:47

He sounds fine to me. We all have bad days. He is communicating with you and trusts you. He felt uncertain around a number of your friends at once for whatever reason, that won't last forever. As for eating, just keep going, let him share what you are eating, let him fill his own plate if you can, rather than just handing it over, and try to stay calm - it is hard but it is his body and his choice what to eat, keep providing good stuff and it will not last forever.

Teawaster Thu 27-Mar-14 16:59:31

It's a while since mine were 2 but I remember all the developmental milestones like it was yesterday. I think what's expected at 2 is to be able to say approx 50 words . Around that age they start combining words and I think you need a vocabulary of around 50 in order to do this. So while he may be a bit behind the " expected" level there are lots of children who are not speaking at all at that age.

I would mention it to the health visitor.
There are long waiting lists so it's better to be in the system and if he has taken off speech wise by the time an appt is due you can also cancel. I remember mine were a bit slow to get to 50 words but then took off and haven't shut up since

Deenamumof1 Thu 27-Mar-14 18:51:17

When I say 2 he's 22 months so not quite 2 yet, I know by the time he's 18 I'll be like what was I worrying about I can't get him to shut up now, but it's just worrying that's all, thanks for all the advice got an appointment next Wednesday with health visitor x

Bootoyou2 Thu 27-Mar-14 18:55:43

At 22m my dd was only saying odd words or maybe 2 words together.

Between 24-26m her speech has suddenly exploded and she doesn't stop talking in 6-7 word sentences, counts to 30, asks why, chatter chatter chatter....my head is going to explode!

So don't worry some children take it all in and then suddenly start talking all at once!

If you have concerns chat to your health visitor.

Oh and she is very clingy and barely talks to strangers.

NatashaBee Thu 27-Mar-14 19:01:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pudseypie Thu 27-Mar-14 19:41:25

I have a 2.4 yr old ds who is clingy with me, fussy with food, and can count to ten but can't relate it to the number of items and often misses out 1 and 2! Mine does speak a lot but a previous poster is right - they suddenly explode with words as if they've just been soaking it all in and it just starts to click one day. Of my 7 antenatal friends with same aged children there is a big difference between all of them, some can do things others can't and vice versa. Really don't worry and just have a chat with your health visitor

Deenamumof1 Thu 27-Mar-14 21:52:28

Thanks everyone made me feel so much better smile

NAR4 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:40:44

All sound perfectly normal to me. Your son will be due his 2yr check soon, so it will be the perfect time to discuss any concerns with your HV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now