Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Low body temperature when poorly

(2 Posts)
TittyNotSusan Sat 22-Mar-14 22:14:48

My dd (12) has started getting a low body temperature when she gets a cold. It's a fairly new thing but has probably happened 3 or 4 times now.

I wasn't sure if I was imagining it, so I bought a digital thermometer recently, and today her temp read at 35.2 and then half an hour later at 35.4.

I took my temp to compare and mine was 36.9 so I don't think it's a faulty thermometer. I would have assumed she wasn't using it properly but she really did feel cold to the touch on her forehead and her hands were like ice.

It's not something I've ever experienced I don't think. Is it a normal cold/ virus symptom? She had some paracetamol and seemed better, but we didn't take her temperature again to check.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 23-Mar-14 09:19:29

Temperature is a funny thing some infections don't cause a temperature. DD had life threatening bacterial infection in hospital on two different types of I/v antibiotics and still her temperature was 35. I medicate the symptoms not the temperature and seek medical advice on the basis of these symptoms.
I also have reynauds so I can be running a temperature, but if you feel my pinkie fingers and nose they are ice cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now