Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does DD need more urgent medical care?

(6 Posts)
Bumbershoot Sat 22-Mar-14 13:28:59

DD is 12 weeks old. Since she was about 2 weeks she's had quite severe reflux. She's been on ranitidine for about 6 weeks with initial minor improvement and domperidone starting this week as she's suddenly been much worse.

I'd be happy seeing how things go but she's been refusing most feeds this week (yesterday she had a few minutes on the boob in the morning and either skipped completely or had a few seconds for the rest of the day - just enough to stay a bit hydrated) and her weight has dropped from 91st centile at birth to just under 40th. Between Monday and Friday this week she lost a third of an ounce - tiny I know but definitely going in the wrong direction. She is extremely distressed several times a day, often for hours at a time and particularly in the evening, so the meds obviously aren't doing much for her (does domperidone take a while to kick in??) and her sleep is appalling. She looks pale and exhausted, not surprisingly.

Basically I'm wondering - do I wait till the next clinic paed can squeeze us into (first week of April) or should I be taking her to a&e today?

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Sat 22-Mar-14 13:59:38

I would take her to the out of hours GP service today rather than a and e.

Trooperslane Sat 22-Mar-14 14:01:35

OOH for me too. Had to take dd in last weekend and they sorted her straight away.

Not as serious as yours.

Hope you get her sorted. It's horrible when their weight is not going to plan.

Bumbershoot Sat 22-Mar-14 14:24:04

But we've already exhausted GP options and they've referred to paediatrician - so wouldn't OOH just refer to paed again?

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Sat 22-Mar-14 19:46:38

OOH is there to assess whether she needs urgent treatment or not- no point sitting in a and e for 5 hours only for them to tell you she's fine

RandomMess Sat 22-Mar-14 19:47:49

OOH would fast track you into hospital rather than via A&E if they felt it necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now