Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tips for giving foul tasting medicine?

(15 Posts)
grainmum Fri 21-Mar-14 16:47:14

I've just been prescribed flucloxacillin for my baby's infected eczema. Any tips to get him to actually take some not just spit it out? I don't blame him it's really bitter.

grainmum Fri 21-Mar-14 16:47:43

Should have said he's 9 months old.

ophiotaurus Fri 21-Mar-14 16:49:01

Chocolate button afterwards? Or is he too young? (My dc are older so can't remember if this is too young).

Trumpton Fri 21-Mar-14 16:56:48

Firm wrap in swaddle or towel , syringe ready loaded , child under arm in rugby hold, syringe into mouth aimed at inside of cheek, gentle squeeze of foul medicine into cross baby.
Lots of cuddles with reproachful eyes looking at you.
There are some videos on YouTube.

DwellsUndertheSink Fri 21-Mar-14 17:04:32

If he needs painkillers too, mix them 50\50. We would mix ds meds in with calpol as its so sweet and sickly

CharCharGabor Fri 21-Mar-14 17:06:42

I've had success with a 1ml syringe. Because it's so thin it's easier to get it really far back between her cheek and gum, and then she hasn't got much choice but to splutter and swallow.

OddFodd Fri 21-Mar-14 17:08:46

I'd follow with breastfeed or milk - something to immediately take the taste away (it's horrid stuff)

And yes to a syringe

BertieBotts Fri 21-Mar-14 17:10:37

9 months old, mix with milk in a bottle. Even if you're breastfeeding, just 20 or 30 mls of cow's milk/formula.

OddFodd Fri 21-Mar-14 17:15:28

Oh durr - yes Bertie, much better idea

Bedsheets4knickers Fri 21-Mar-14 20:00:50

In yogurt

grainmum Sat 22-Mar-14 16:51:35

Thanks for all the replies. Firm hold and syringe inside cheek works to an extent, and he's prescribed a high dose so even if half of it goes down that's still a therapeutic dose.

Trumpton Sat 22-Mar-14 17:07:31

oh well done. Soldier on !

BertieBotts Sat 22-Mar-14 17:23:03

It was the only way I ever got DS to take anything OddFodd grin recommended by XMIL! Used to have to mix calpol with ribena, it was the only time he was allowed it.

Minnieisthedevilmouse Sun 23-Mar-14 11:03:32

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down! The medicine go dow-wn the medicine go down. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, in the most delightful way!

goldenlula Sun 23-Mar-14 17:51:57

I have no helpful advice, just to say I share your pain, dd (2.10) has infected chicken pox and is on the same meds. I am using the towel and syringe approach and a sweet as a reward with very limited success, she has a strong gag reflex so most comes back up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now