Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Newborn and loud music?

(26 Posts)
floppops Thu 20-Mar-14 18:51:36

My H likes to put his iPad with loud music in the bouncer or bassinet with our 1 week old baby. I've said I think it's not appropriate or beneficial and am worried it overstimulates our DS and could be damaging.
H won't listen. He says I'm mad..
I don't mind music but I think having the iPad right up next to him is crazy.

JeanSeberg Thu 20-Mar-14 23:09:18

How loud??? Sounds ridiculous and dangerous to their hearing (unless it's the Smiths).

mymiraclebubba Thu 20-Mar-14 23:33:52

the womb is a fairly noisy place, so the volume wouldn't be my concern if it was a sensible distance away.

pictish Thu 20-Mar-14 23:35:18

Err...what sort of music?

floppops Thu 20-Mar-14 23:56:28

Rave/dance music...don't know why the iPad has to be right next to him. He says it's no worse than the telly being on but I disagree. Caused a massive row actually..

LittleBearPad Fri 21-Mar-14 00:14:25

Why does he do this. It seems very odd

floppops Fri 21-Mar-14 03:12:23

Yes I think it's crazy but when I object he says I'm crazy.

fuckwittery Fri 21-Mar-14 03:40:04

What is the point of him doing it? Possibly yes to doing no harm but why?

bubblegoose Fri 21-Mar-14 03:43:06

He sounds a bit dim. Why would you think this was a positive thing to do?

JeanSeberg Fri 21-Mar-14 05:26:20

So he won't listen and says you're mad...

Hmmm

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 21-Mar-14 05:42:20

I see he's H, not DH shock

My P wink did similar. If we were cleaning he'd put the Xbox on with music and that screen that's like windows media player (iyswim) and DD in her bouncer. It was very loud and I couldn't hear her in our adjoined kitchen. He said I was crazy. I also panicked saying she could have epilepsy so no flashing images <PFB>

She was fine. If you're uncomfortable, subtly turn it down wink

floppops Fri 21-Mar-14 06:50:12

Yes maybe that would have been better to just turn it down. Just think it's nutty behaviour. He uses his phone too sometimes-will hold the phone in front of baby's face with music on.

pictish Fri 21-Mar-14 07:41:46

I don't know what he's aiming for. Strange thing to do. Is he trying to get his newborn into techno? confused

floppops Fri 21-Mar-14 10:42:58

Yes he thinks it's important for the baby to listen to music but obviously is mental as he thinks it has to be mega loud. Was the same with our DD and blasts her with pirate radio music whenever he has in the car without me-she hates it.
I don't know how to prove its a crazy thing to do. He thinks I'm mad and sleep deprived to object.

FelixFelix Fri 21-Mar-14 10:45:47

I've played music to my DD ever since she was born (she's now 12 weeks) and she seems to enjoy it. There's no harm in playing music, but just get him to turn it down to a reasonable level. My dd gets really excited when I play Kraftwerk blush

pictish Fri 21-Mar-14 11:37:00

We like music, dh and I - we like techno, being ex clubbers and outdoor rave stalwarts. We like other music just as much though. Our kids have always heard music.
Putting the ipad to blast techno into the moses basket is overkill. He's being a dick. It probably won't do baby any harm, but it's just the sentiment surrounding it isn't it? It's overbearing, self centred and childish...displays of which aren't very attractive.

I dunno - how is he otherwise?

floppops Fri 21-Mar-14 13:10:27

Yep totally agree Pictish. We are also ex clubbers/ravers but I don't think at 1 week old DS is in desperate need to be listening to music like that so loudly.
H is all the things you mentioned. We just had another row now about the row we had last night and he's gone off to test drive a Mercedes! We are not well off...
He is in conclusion a dick.

pictish Fri 21-Mar-14 13:29:39

I see. So what next?

floppops Fri 21-Mar-14 13:34:24

Don't know...
Have 1 week old baby,4 year old DD and I feel a bit stuck as I had a c section so no driving/lifting etc for a bit. Will feel better once I'm out and about more but I suppose H will still be a dick. Is just a matter of whether I can ignore/tolerate it or not.

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 21-Mar-14 13:36:59

Could it (test driving a merc) be his way of feeling footloose and fancy free at a time when he is feeling very restricted and committed? Not saying he is feeling like this but I remember my DDs dad acting like an absolute cunt not long after the birth.

Is this your first?

Don't worry, it's not you. It's just really hard at times xx

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 21-Mar-14 13:38:28

X post. How was he after last DC? I can really relate to this after what I went through. Not saying he's a dick. Just saying they have moments where they can be hmm

floppops Fri 21-Mar-14 13:54:26

He was like this but even worse after first DD. He did promise things would be different..didn't expect them to be really but still is always a shock how self centred and unkind he is. Oh well.

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 21-Mar-14 13:58:03

How old are you? Not saying he's childish etc. just for comparison.

I was 24 he was 25 when DD was born and he was vile at times. Now I'm 26 he's 27. I'm sure he'd be the same. It's not always the perfect family ideal you dream of is it hmm

What do YOU want?

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 21-Mar-14 17:06:44

I also mean, now matter how much of a grown up we/they are meant to be, there are times when we/they aren't.

pictish Fri 21-Mar-14 17:41:19

Maybe this is not so much about the ipad playing rave at full belt in the baby's bouncer, but more to do with his attitude surrounding it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now