Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any suggestions for 10 year old with phobias?

(8 Posts)
booface Thu 20-Mar-14 18:37:32

Hi, really looking for help for my poor son. He has a massive spider phobia that we are trying to improve with aversion therapy. But he also massively over reacts if he hurts himself to the extent that he makes himself sick, screams the place down if he sees blood etc. Also has fears of heights and water. Any other suggestions at all that have worked for anyone else?

DoItTooJulia Thu 20-Mar-14 18:44:44

Meditations? There is a cd called bedtime meditations for kids and it's fab. If he can learn a technique to employ when he's having an attack it might help?

Sounds horrid for him and you. Hope you both get some relief.

booface Thu 20-Mar-14 19:01:56

That's really kind, thanks for your suggestion. I will google that.

We are getting help with the therapy, but maybe it is the kind of thing that has to get worse before it gets better if you know what i mean

DoItTooJulia Thu 20-Mar-14 20:19:04

How long has he suffered for?

10 is a tricky age. Poor lad. The meditations might be a bit babyish for him, but worth a try or worth looking into guided meditations generally.

I can't really think of anything else, I wish I could be more helpful.

booface Thu 20-Mar-14 20:48:38

Thanks, do it to Julia. He has always had phobias (the refusal to do poos in the toilet til he was 5 was a memorable one..) he does like a tense and relax meditation that we have been given, so I will remind him to do that. Thanks again

anicesitdown Thu 20-Mar-14 21:17:42

Might sound a bit bonkers, but Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT or tapping) could help. The great thing about it is that you can be really specific about the problem/issue you want to resolve. It's non-invasive, and once you've been taught the technique, you can use it forever. It's suitable for kids, and works well for them.

We booked a session for my DS (11), and I went in too. We spent more time teaching me the technique as DS came over all shy. I worked on a couple of my own issues (mainly re. keeping calm when kids driving me mad), and although I was sceptical, it does really seem to have helped. We then worked with DS on his problem (anxiety related), and now, 3 weeks later, have seen a massive improvement. We were in for about an hour, have learnt how to do it, so don't need any further appointments. He 'taps' when he feels stuff building up, and we've since used it on other things too. Honestly, I wish I'd know about it years ago!

Thankfully you don't have to believe in it for it to work - I'm still a bit too rational to buy into it, but am happy to keep testing....!

booface Thu 20-Mar-14 21:23:08

Thank you anicesitdown. Another interesting idea. His therapist did in fact try a bit of that I think with some little electrical tappers (sounds like torture, but it was very gentle taps!) You have reminded me to give it another go with him, and maybe look into it a bit more. Thank you again

mymiraclebubba Thu 20-Mar-14 21:50:48

would it be worth talking to someone like the Red Cross or St John Ambulance and see if they have any ideas? I know St John do a youth group so perhaps learning how to deal with it and that most cuts etc aren't fatal may be a way to help him learn to cope?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now