Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Farsighted/longsighted toddler

(6 Posts)
millimurphy Thu 20-Mar-14 12:57:16

Hey there - my son will be 3 in June and has just been diagnosed as being long sighted. I first noticed a problem with his eye turning to the side as he looked at things. So he has seen a consultant and apparently his eyes are very bad with a +5 prescription at least (they cannot be more specific as he can't communicate very well as to what he can and cannot see).

So fine - we went and got him fitted with some glasses. He refuses to wear them - no ammount of coercion or bribary works.

The main thing I worry about is that he will sit and thread small pony beads, locate and pick up minute shells when I test him and spot tiny creatures when they are wandering about in our lounge etc. Lots of stuff you would assume he would not be able to see if his eyesight is that bad.

So what should I do? I have another appointment next month for a follow up - but am I right in thinking he wouldn't be doing so much close up stuff if he is this longsighted? And then if his vision isn't as bad should I really perservere the issue with him refusing to wear the specs?

Sorry what an essay - I just don't want him to wear glasses if he doesn't have to. I have nothing against glasses by the way - my husband and I both wear them!

EyeoftheStorm Thu 20-Mar-14 13:30:27

DS2 started wearing glasses at a similar age and has a similar prescription.

I was told that young children can focus but they have to try really hard. DS2 could pick out small insects in books etc. But the eye muscles are working too hard and they can end up with a squint or 'lazy eye'.

Wearing glasses means their eyes can relax and their sight can improve over time. +5 is quite a high prescription so my view is DS2 needs his glasses.

When DS2 started wearing glasses I made a point of never forcing the issue. I would offer them, give lots of praise for wearing them, chocolate bribes, and then take them without comment if he took them off. I would offer again later, and repeat, and repeat.

Good luck

millimurphy Thu 20-Mar-14 14:19:18

Ok - I understand a bit better. Think I will have a proper talk with the consultant next time (husband took him in last time while I looked after our newborn - he didn't think to ask anythinghmm).

Will try harder with his glasses - he just seems to hate them at the moment!

millimurphy Thu 20-Mar-14 14:20:05

Ooo - forgot to say thank you as well!

EyeoftheStorm Thu 20-Mar-14 14:29:14

Yes - DS2 hated them as well. It must be disorientating because they get used to what they can see without glasses.

Funny thing with DS2 was that I'd always patted myself on the back that he wasn't interested in TV (unlike his older siblings) and as soon as he started wearing glasses regularly I couldn't drag him away from it.

I think for some children as soon as they get glasses, it's a revelation, whereas for our guys it takes a bit of getting used to.

Twighlightsparkle Thu 20-Mar-14 14:46:22

Hi, young children who are longsighted tend to overfocusing to see clearly, which can cause squint, he will still be doing this initially with the glasses therefore making him blurred. Over time with wearing them his eyes will relax and he not overfocusing.

It's just getting to that point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now