Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Headaches and high temp

(5 Posts)
acatcalledchinchi Wed 19-Mar-14 21:01:57

DD (5) came home from school one day last week complaining of headache. Within minutes she was shivering and complaining she was cold despite having a temperature of 38.7. I controlled this using Nurofen and although her temperature continued to dip and rise during the night, there was no sickness and she was back to normal within 24 hours.

This morning she woke crying saying she had another headache. Both occasions she has pointed to the top of her skull as opposed to her forehead or temples. I sent her to school and asked the teacher to contact me if there was any concern. When I collected her this afternoon the teacher said that she had again been complaining that she was cold and her head was hurting. By the time we got home her temperature was 39.2 but the GP wouldn't see her because it was 10 minutes from closing confused

NHS Direct said that her symptoms weren't flagging up as an emergency and to see the GP within 3 days.

I just can't understand what it could be? There is no sickness, just very bad headaches, high temperature and then she seems back to normal within 24 hours. She had an eye test a couple of months back and all was fine.
No other symptoms. Appetite normal, bowel movements normal. Active and energetic at school.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

wizzler Wed 19-Mar-14 21:22:32

No advice except to say that my DD had very similar symptoms last week... no sickness, slight dip in appetite and energy levels quite changeable. Only thing she complained of was a headache . Was ok after 2 days, but it took almost a week for her to be back to normal.. I assumed it was a bug.. headache went away when I gave her calpol.
Hope your DD feels better soon

justmuddlingalongsomehow Wed 19-Mar-14 21:28:44

Sounds nasty... hope she feels better soon.

Next time your GP says that though - I think they are obliged to see paediatric cases on the same day. I may be wrong but it is worth checking with your local NHS trust.

acatcalledchinchi Wed 19-Mar-14 21:42:38

Thank you both smile
I must admit I was very annoyed with the GP considering we only live 5 minutes away from the surgery. I didn't want to just turn up there with her but now wish I'd have put her in the car and just gone confused

She is fast asleep next to me now and so far so good with her temperature. Ill phone the GP tomorrow and ill place my bet now for them saying its a viral infection confused

Boris13 Sat 22-Mar-14 23:43:10

How is she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now