Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Day 5 of D&V in 17 month old

(11 Posts)
MakeTeaNotWar Wed 19-Mar-14 14:22:47

DS - 17 months - started vomiting with bad diarrhoea on Sat. Couldn't even keep water down so took him to OOH doc on Sunday. Told us he has a double ear infection, to keep him hydrated and to treat discomfort with Calpol. No change on Monday so went back to doc as worried he'd kept nothing down for 3 days but sent away with same advice. Yesterday he was perkier but did 12 liquid nappies. Today 3 liquid nappies so far and a massive spew after he managed to eat a bit of weetabix. Do I just ride it out? How long do these things last?

purplebaubles Wed 19-Mar-14 14:27:16

Did he give you anything for the double ear infection? Antibiotics?

I guess you have to ride it out, so long as it's mostly just the back end that's the problem! How is he in himself?

DD had diarrhoea for 6 weeks in total when she was about 8 months (that was fun - not)

I would say though, that if he's not fine in himself, I'd take him back for another opinion. The liquid nappies must be coming from somewhere - what has he managed to eat?

MakeTeaNotWar Wed 19-Mar-14 14:33:26

purple no antibiotics prescribed as doc said it may be viral and we'd risk upsetting his tummy even further. I really don't know how he is managing to produce so many dirty nappies but he did eat a bit of weetabix yesterday and some toast. He desperately wants milk but not sure if that would irritate the gut further.

6 weeks?! OMG. He is ok in himself most of the time but I think his tummy must hurt as he shows discomfort before each explosion

TheGreatHunt Wed 19-Mar-14 14:34:45

Did he have cows milk? Usually you can develop a temp lactose intolerance after being ill which might be why he was sick. Try cutting down dairy so he gets yoghurts and cheese but no raw milk until his tummy settles.

purplebaubles Wed 19-Mar-14 14:37:19

sad Oh bless him. Hmm. Tricky one. I think i'd still be inclined to take him back, just to see someone different and get a different opinion.

These things can well be viral, and can just take some time to go through the system, but better to be safe in the meantime?

Yep. 6 weeks. About 8 pooey nappies a day. Cost me a fortune, never mind tested both our patience to the limit! And then it just suddenly stopped! We must have gone to the doctors about 10 times in that period!! But DD was fine in herself, quite perky tbh!

MakeTeaNotWar Wed 19-Mar-14 14:39:38

I've taken annual leave for Monday and yesterday but I need to work tomorrow - going to be very tricky if it lingers and nursery won't take him, we don't have family near by. Would goats milk or oat milk be ok for a drink instead of cow's milk?

I might take him back tomorrow if still the same

Fluffy101 Wed 19-Mar-14 18:02:52

Most nurserys have. 48hr policy after last episode of any tummy upset so I think you need to make plans for tomorrow sorry

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 19-Mar-14 18:34:57

You have to keep off nursery for 48 hours after last symptoms.

Have you got any dioralyte? You can get it from the pharmacy or GP. It replaces all the electrolytes in your body you lose with D&V. DS had three similar bugs and they lasted a week each before eventually stopping.

TheGreatHunt Wed 19-Mar-14 22:15:43

Oat milk yes (We use it) but not goats just in case.

Boris13 Sat 22-Mar-14 23:41:41

How is he now??

MakeTeaNotWar Sun 23-Mar-14 07:49:39

Boris he's now fine thank goodness - the last of the diarrhoea cleared up on Thursday. And on Friday....I came down with it, feeling awful & can't keep anything in yuk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now