Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any nutritionists about?

(16 Posts)
Bumbershoot Tue 18-Mar-14 22:00:58

I'm looking into options for milk formulas for DD who has confirmed cow's milk protein allergy, likely lactose intolerance and is failing to thrive. I'm happy to go with whatever the paed says is best and I know many of these are very similar, I'm just curious to know which seems like the most optimal combination of nutrients! I know this is probably quite a big ask - hope someone has some time smile
Aptamil Pepti
Similac Alimentum
SMA Althera
Cow & Gate Pepti Junior
Nutramigen Lipil 1
Pregestimil Lipil
Neocate LCP
Nutramigen AA
Thank you so much!!

shugs2k8 Tue 18-Mar-14 22:34:22

Hi I would put the wee 1 on to nutramigen my daughter has been on that for 6 months n she had cam on leaps

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 18-Mar-14 23:20:32

Well some of those still contain milk protein, like the aptamil pepti and nutramigen lipil.

That's a hydrolysed formula where the milk protein is broken down and meant to be more easily digestible. Usually these are tried first and if not tolerated then the next step is to try a completely protein free milk, which is amino acid based, such as neocate. All of these are available on prescription.

Cows milk protein allergy and a lactose allergy are two different things. Does she have both confirmed?

shugs2k8 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:32:08

My daughter has both and she was put in to nutramigen lipil and it does not have any cows milk in it

Bumbershoot Tue 18-Mar-14 23:37:03

She has CMPA confirmed and they think unfortunately lactose intolerance as well. I know generally they try an extensively hydrolysed formula that's whey or casein based first, but since she's had a fairly aggressive reaction to CMP just in BM I'm guessing she'll need a CMP free formula. Paed seems keen to try and see but the thought of being back to square one isn't fun! Same with lactose - a couple of the ones on the list have lactose, but in small quantities (lower than BM) so may be worth trying. Is it true if you cut out lactose completely you can worsen or cause a lactose intolerance in the future?

shugs2k8 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:37:28

Am sorty but where did you get that information nutramigen lipil is free for cows milk and soya

ouryve Tue 18-Mar-14 23:38:55

You probably need a dietician. A nutritionist often has a "diploma" bought on the Internet.

ouryve Tue 18-Mar-14 23:40:34

In fact, did you not get any recommendations off a paediatrician, with the diagnosis?

shugs2k8 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:41:55

Nutramigen lipil is the one to go for it has no cmp or soya my daughter got that one and she is doing better

shugs2k8 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:41:55

Nutramigen lipil is the one to go for it has no cmp or soya my daughter got that one and she is doing better

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 18-Mar-14 23:44:06

Nutramigwn lipil is a hydrolysed formula, it contains broken down protein. Nutramigen AA is the amino acid formula.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 18-Mar-14 23:45:40

The amino acid formula contains no cows milk protein, the hydrolysed formula does but in tiny broken down amounts not as easily detected but the immune system. Some children (like my DS) still won't tolerate it.

Bumbershoot Tue 18-Mar-14 23:56:31

We've seen paed and seeing dietician at weaning time. Basically paed has confirmed CMPA (and GORD) and suggested lactose might be an issue, then sent us back to GP for monitoring till next appt in late May. I was happily breastfeeding at the time but now looking at mix feeding for various reasons and GP isn't hugely useful re best formula options, so I'm exploring a bit and wondered if nutritionally there was much difference between them (excluding obvious differences like cmp and lactose).

Winterbluessummersoonish Wed 19-Mar-14 06:02:36

My oldest son was fine on nutrimigin (sorry for spelling) but number 2 son still reacted to it and we went on to neocate - which they said is the gold standard of these type of milks, although more expensive than nutrimigin so they often suggest you start there.

I found the websites of the brands good and also had recipes for using the milks when you get to weaning stage.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 19-Mar-14 08:57:55

The paediatrician should have just put you on something rather than letting the GP work it out. I found GPs not that helpful with milk allergies and just went with what the consultant said.

We saw a dietician straight away as they can advise on milk. I'm surprised the paediatrician is making you wait. It's the dietician's job to sort the milk out. Especially if they're querying a lactose intolerance too.

If you're bf you'll have to cut dairy and soya out you're own diet too. They say 40% are also allergic to soya and 90% to goats milk so they aren't recommended as an alternative at that age.

Like I said, they usually try a hydrolysed formula first, and if that doesn't work then you move on to a amino acid based formula.

We see an allergy consultant rather than a paediatrician, they have been brilliant.

Bumbershoot Wed 19-Mar-14 13:51:28

I'm dairy and soy free already, and when we saw the paed I wasn't thinking about formula at all, which is I guess why she sent us to GP for time being. Anyway I rang paed and dietician this morning and both say Cow & Gate Pepti Junior so I guess we'll be doing that! CMP and lactose free and apparently has special fats that are more easily absorbed to help with her weight. Anyone had any experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now