Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Thread worm medication

(7 Posts)
twinkle05 Tue 18-Mar-14 13:30:43

I don’t know if anyone will be able to help?

I’m having a real problem treating threadworms currently. I’ve used Ovex repeatedly without any relief from the itching symptoms. I’m certain it’s not re-infection as I have been using strict hygiene measures, boil washing all bedding, towels etc damp dusting and hoovering on a daily basis – I’m knackered!

I made the fatal mistake of looking online only to find stories of people who have had threadworms, in some cases for many, many years, and simply cannot get rid of them. They seem to believe that the threadworms have built a resistance to medications and they are no longer proving effective.

I have desperately been trying to get hold of pripsen powder. I understand that it is no longer available from the manufacturers, and I can’t source any online – I have literally spent hours trying to locate some. I assume the only pripsen available will be from pharmacies or shops that have stock left over.

Does anyone know of a shop local to them that still has stock? If so would anyone be prepared to buy some and post it to me? I will of course cover all costs and posting etc – if not does anyone have some at home that they would be happy to let me buy from them? I am seriously at my wits end and can’t go on like this for much longer.

I really hope someone can help

Thank you

Ubik1 Tue 18-Mar-14 13:32:52

You should see your GP

gamerchick Tue 18-Mar-14 13:38:01

Are you sure it's thread worms? There is a few things that cause intense itching.

In the mean time pile cream (or bonjela) numbs the bum hole so it doesn't itch.

If it is worms.. its the glue they use that causes he itching. A pack of babywipes and a bin next to the bed to use will remove the glue and help with the itching... Just dealing with that will stop an infestation in about 6 weeks as they die off naturally. That ones a bit tougher.

But yes you probably should see your gp if it's driving you mad.

Elibean Wed 19-Mar-14 17:24:46

Do see your GP, as I agree - could well be the ongoing itch is not from worms. I know about those 'threadworms forever' posts online (serious googling when pregnant and paranoid as dd1 had suspected threadworm blush) but Ovex is unbelievably effective, and unlikely not to have worked.

Have you tried googling online pharmacies for Pripsen?

But do see your GP - you might have some sort of reactive allergy from the little xxxxxxxs?

twinkle05 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:28:19

I know I should go and see my GP, and I guess I will have to! I've just been too embarrassed to go so far.

I have tried every online pharmacy I can find, but everywhere seems to have sold out, hence me wondering whether anyone had any at home or knew of anywhere that still had stock?

ilovepowerhoop Wed 19-Mar-14 20:58:52

Pripsen has been discontinued in the UK which is why you cant get hold of it.

There are other causes of itching. Maybe you are itching due to a different reason than worms.

www.patient.co.uk/health/pruritus-ani-itchy-bottom

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Fri 21-Mar-14 11:08:34

itching could well be piles, try pile creams and supposititories

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now