Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox

(10 Posts)
wouldbemedic Tue 18-Mar-14 12:59:27

Toddler has 20 red spots up her legs, over the bottom and up her legs. There were only 2 spots this morning so quickly spreading. They seem a little itchy but she is otherwise in perfect health. Called the doctor but don't trust GPs at all. What should I do? What is it likely to be??!

scaevola Tue 18-Mar-14 13:01:33

What do the spots look like?

wouldbemedic Tue 18-Mar-14 13:14:35

They're red, just like midgy bites.

scaevola Tue 18-Mar-14 13:40:15

Perhaps not chickenpox then, as that looks like little blisters.

You do need to get someone medically qualified to actually look at the rash.

And in slower time, see if you can move to a different GP practice where you can trust the doctors.

wouldbemedic Tue 18-Mar-14 14:17:26

I looked on NHS choices and it seems that the spots appear as red initially, then become blisters.

My distrust of GPs extends to all of them, I'm afraid, even the good ones!

goldenlula Tue 18-Mar-14 14:18:43

It could be chicken pox as the start off as small spots and blister 12-14 hrs later. They can spread fast too as they kind if come in waves. Often they are not ill as such, may have cold like symptoms before the spots but not always. My 2 boys both complained of earaches and sore throats leading up to it. Dd was a bit tearful. Melamine and aqueous cream is good, bicarbonate of soda in the bath and portion has helped. The worst days for us has been day 3/4 mainly.

wouldbemedic Tue 18-Mar-14 14:20:30

Thank you goldenlula, wonderful advice. NHS choices doesn't advise the doctor even seeing the child if the parent is sure it's chickenpox! Saves us a doctor's visit!

goldenlula Tue 18-Mar-14 14:43:19

None of mine have seen a doctor as yet, I still have ds2 and dd down with it, ds2 has a very bad dose of it and I am watching him closely due to problems with staphylococcus aureous in the past 15 months. Melamine should read calamine and aqueous cream, it is less drying than normal calamine lotion.

goldenlula Tue 18-Mar-14 14:44:16

And portion should be piriton! Should read before I post blush

wouldbemedic Tue 18-Mar-14 18:22:54

Thanks so much for this. Goldenlula I have crossed melamine off my list smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now