Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hayfever in an under 7... Is it really rare??

(13 Posts)
Sickandtired14 Mon 17-Mar-14 07:39:19

As title suggests, I want to know how 'rare' it is for an under 7 to suffer some level of hayfever. I have a 20 month old girl and for the last week/10 days she has been streaming at the nose, coughing and rubbing her eyes. No other symptom. She did push through a tooth last week which I put it all down to but it hasn't gone away. Spoke to a health professional who told me it's 'rare for an under 7 to suffer hayfever' and then googled it and found out that is the NHS's party line onthe subject so I wanted some real life opinions please?? In your experience can a toddler develop hayfever?? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?? Thanks in advance.

Sirzy Mon 17-Mar-14 09:12:30

Well DS has always had hayfever. He sees a respiritory consultant for his asthma and the hayfever being rare gas never been mentioned before!

eragon Mon 17-Mar-14 10:35:46

its quite common in my experience.

CrazyHhas5kitties Mon 17-Mar-14 10:39:28

My Ds has had Hayfever since he was a baby , though he asthma as well so may be connected to that .

I have never been told its rare before

Sickandtired14 Mon 17-Mar-14 10:43:51

Ok thanks for replies. I'm fairly convinced by her symptoms. I just get quite frustrated by the NHS as they seem very unwilling these days to diagnose anything except a virus!!

Sirzy Mon 17-Mar-14 10:56:18

to be fair I wouldn't expect a diagnosis of hayfever after one incidence which could just be a cold/virus.

Try her with some antihistamine see if it makes a difference that will give more idea if it is.

LittleMissGerardButlersMinion Mon 17-Mar-14 10:57:39

I've had it since I was very young, and DS1 has had it since he was a baby so yes it's possible.

As suggested I would try antihistamines and see if they work, then you know.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 17-Mar-14 11:02:48

try her on piriton syrup and see if it helps (I think piriton is the only antihistamine licensed for that age group)

Sirzy Mon 17-Mar-14 11:04:17

others are licenced but not sure if they are available OTC. I know piriton do a childrens one

SchroSawMargeryDaw Mon 17-Mar-14 11:08:14

2yo DS has hay fever, always has. Was told it is common but he needs to have it 3 years in a row before they will diagnose it. This is probably why it seems like it's rare in under 7's as they are not often diagnosed.

lazydog Mon 17-Mar-14 21:25:26

I developed hay fever at age 3. It was after I'd been playing in a field of really long, flowering grass with my older brothers and came home with itchy red eyes and sneezing/streaming nose. I do remember that I was the only kid in my year at primary school with hay fever and yet, when I went to secondary, there were loads, so it must be quite common for it to develop later on in childhood.

Nocomet Mon 17-Mar-14 21:39:07

DD2 had hay fever for the first 11 summers of her life. Last summer I actually remembered to buy some antihistamine liquid and not a sniffle.

She doesn't have any other allergies or asthma, just gets hay fever in the classic grass pollen season.

ie she starts just as I stop muttering about chopping down every birch tree in Britain.

LittleMissGreen Wed 19-Mar-14 13:47:14

DS was dx-ed with hayfever when he was 2. It is however extremely severe - within minutes of coming into contact with pollen his face swells up so much he can't see/breath. I have been led to believe that is quite unusual by both age and severity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now