Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

sandpaper rash following infected spot

(5 Posts)
Pootrouble Sun 16-Mar-14 19:34:28

dd1 is 10, she had a molluscum bastarding spot behind her knee that she picked and picked, it bled and bled and eventually went black and fell off and has now left a deep hole. It finally turn yellowy colour and scabbed over. Anyway, the day it went black dd developed a rash on her neck at school looked just a bit like a spotty heat rash. school said had got slightly wore through the day. By evening it had spread to side of her eye and front of neck. dd said it was quite painful to touch so we were worried it was shingles

Docs next day said not shingles just an allergy rash! This was last wednesday. Anyway rash is still there and is now still on neck and a bit on face, on backs of both elbows, under her hairline, back of both knees and localised around the molluscum spot that went bad (like its weirdly surrounding it). Rash now feels very rough like sandpaper. DD feels absolutely fine no illness whatsoever just the rash is painful and the molluscum spot is sore.

Any ideas anyone?? I thought maybe scarlet fever as the rash is typical of it but it seems to me that this rash was sparked off by her molluscum spot turning bad. can this occur??

je2609 Sun 16-Mar-14 19:40:48

No words of advice but keen to see any replies as dd(4) has the same on her tum with a molluscum (finally) on its way out.

Pootrouble Sun 16-Mar-14 19:47:01

we didmnt tell the doc about the molluscum spot when we went as it didn't seem relevant and he seemed sure it was an allergy thing (despite dd not having any allergies!) but now the rash feels really really rough and almost sharp

je2609 Sun 16-Mar-14 19:51:45

Sounds similar to DD's. Spots have been there a while but encouraged her to scratch at them (on gp's advice) and that triggered the rash. Hers doesn't seem to have spread beyond her tum so far though.

Pootrouble Sun 16-Mar-14 20:06:54

How strange. I wonder if its caused a strep infection of the skin and thats caused rash. Hmmm wl habe to go back to gp I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now