Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What can I do to get rid of these monstrosities?

(22 Posts)
CheckpointCharlie Sun 16-Mar-14 16:50:25

Poor dd2 (5) had a big verrucas on her foot, a doc told us to leave if and it will go away by itself. However it has spread and she now has loads and loads on her foot.

Should I buy that bazooka stuff? Or does anyone have a different way of getting rid of them? They are v horrible and they hurt her foot.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 16-Mar-14 16:51:33

There are more above and around the three you can see clearly, god how many typos are in my post?! blush

MissSmiley Sun 16-Mar-14 16:54:13

They do go away on their own. It might take months or even years. My oldest son had loads on both feet a few years ago and I sought advice. The chiropodist reassured me to leave them alone. Then some time later I went to cut his toenails and noticed they had all disappeared.

crazykat Sun 16-Mar-14 16:54:35

I'd take her back to the doctors and ask them to freeze them off, especially as they are causing her pain. If she's had them quite a while it may need more than one treatment.

You can use bazooka at her age but it can take a while to get rid of them.

Paddie Sun 16-Mar-14 16:55:26

I used a piece of banana skin....cut off a small section, placed the inside of the banana skin on the verrucas and covered with a plaster. Leave it in place as long as possible before putting a new piece on. Also Thuja (not sure on the spelling) can help as a homeopathic treatment taken as little tablets daily.

BelleateSebastian Sun 16-Mar-14 16:56:26

Poor DS2 was plagued with verrucas and warts on his knees, I treated them with everything, freezy stuff, burny stuff, acidy stuff! Nothing seemed to work. It may be coincedence but I used Bazuka, and filed them down them regulary and would then wipe them over with alchohol hand gel ... all of a sudden they just went.

DS1 had one application of the freezy stuff to his (very similar to your daughters verrucas and they dropped 'out' after a week.

Good luck

CheckpointCharlie Sun 16-Mar-14 16:58:01

Ooh thanks! Quick responses. Will try the doc again and investigate freezing them off, if she will let him/her near her foot....

paddie how long did it take using banana skin?

Thumbwitch Sun 16-Mar-14 16:59:46

Salactol is the stuff that sorted mine out. Works pretty well - apply, cover, next night pumice off, apply, cover, next night pumice off, apply, cover and so on; took less than a week for the 20 or so small ones, and just over a week for the "king" one.

notapizzaeater Sun 16-Mar-14 17:02:35

We've just got rid of 2 on ds foot, we'd tried the freezing and it hadn't worked. I bought some Warnter off Amazon, just canned it on, left it to dry (not long) and dress as normal. Took about 5 days.

xxreeldancerxx Sun 16-Mar-14 17:04:39

My GP recommended duct tape and it actually worked .... Some folk say it's an old wives tail but it's worth a try rather than having to have them frozen off ... A young child might find this too painful hmm x

CheckpointCharlie Sun 16-Mar-14 17:18:01

Yes, reeldancer she hates things like that! she has those horrendous molloscums too so has had to put up with all manner of shit from those too.

Chemist here I come!

redspottydress Sun 16-Mar-14 17:27:18

Thuja worked for us after a year of trying everything else! Maybe Co incidence, maybe placebo effect but I was so happy they were gone!

17leftfeet Sun 16-Mar-14 17:30:52

I use duck tape

Small ones a week, big ones 10-14 days

Pain free and cheap grin

CoteDAzur Sun 16-Mar-14 17:34:18

Your poor DD. Ask a dermatologist to freeze off the verrucas and scrape the molloscum at the same time.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 16-Mar-14 17:37:59

cote have you seen that done? I can't imagine how they would do it? God I would love them to be gone, poor child has them on her arms and chest. sad
I haven't heard of them being scraped before, same doc told us to leave them too. Maybe I should change doctor!

Jbck Sun 16-Mar-14 17:43:54

They do eventually go by themselves if they aren't causing her any discomfort.

DD1 had four for about 2 years and I tried the Bazooka stuff but it didn't work very well, GP said he'd rather leave to nature and they eventually cleared up.

CoteDAzur Sun 16-Mar-14 17:46:29

My DD had both procedures done at the age of 6. She is the most fragile & whiny child you can imagine, and they were fine.

Freezing was gone with a cold 'gun'. Several seconds on each verruca. It was a bit painful, but she got a Pokemon card package after each visit, so she was happy.

Scraping the molloscums was done with a scalpel. Each took a second - scraped, cream applied, plastered. It hurt a bit but again, she got a Pokemon card pack and was happy.

Just have it done and it will all be gone. I can't believe people are being told to "just wait", use homeopathy sugar pills and banana peels in a modern Western country in the 21st century.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 16-Mar-14 17:49:38

Oh wow. The thought of an end to those molloscum is amazing, I need to see a different doctor.
Scraping can't hurt more than me squeezing them when they start to go yellow and yukky.

CountryPlumpkin Sun 16-Mar-14 17:59:25

Apologies for the crap explanation - I'm not medical but will try my best ... Verrucas are caused by a virus. If your body learns how to combat the virus, they will go. From experience, freezing or scalpeling the verruca can trigger your body's ability to fight the virus.

I had over 40 big and small verrucas on my foot blush. I had one biggish one frozen off and within a week all the rest had disappeared. Likewise, I was using bazooka on my sons verruca and one day he 'accidentally' scraped the bazooka mound off in his swimming lesson. Blood everywhere, school panicking, verruca still hanging on by a thread ... But within a week it had gone. Go to war on the verrucas! Choose one that can be frozen and annihilate the feckers grin

HermioneWeasley Sun 16-Mar-14 18:04:28

I used apple cider vinegar covered with duct tape and filing down the dead skin every couple of days on DS. Went within 6 weeks, but horrible smell!

Emphaticmaybe Sun 16-Mar-14 18:08:41

Had a similar situation with 10 or so verrucas on one foot - GP recommended just intensively treating one. I was desperate after 2 years and nothing working but was a bit sceptical at concentrating on one and ignoring rest.

Anyway surprisingly it worked after 6 weeks of over-counter treatment - apparently you only need to kill one as once your immune sysyem gets a foot in so to speak it will then kill off all the rest as obviously it is the same virus causing all of them.

May be worth trying - easier than faffing with multiple applications and literally once one was dead all the others vanished in less than a week.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 16-Mar-14 19:01:50

Now that is encouraging news, I will go for the biggest bastard and watch all the little ones shrivel away (hopefully)!

Thanks all, I have lots of things to try out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now