Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Surgery to remove DD's kidney

(5 Posts)
SushiForBreakfast Sun 16-Mar-14 16:14:25

Can anyone give me any reassurance? A consultant recommended that DD (aged 3) should have a nephrectomy to remove her cystic non-functioning kidney. Has anyone else been through this for themselves or their child? Will the recovery time be long?

DD needs to have two scans (ultrasound and a DMSA dye scan) before she has the surgery.

HolidayCriminal Mon 17-Mar-14 13:22:40

I know a lad who was born with 4 kidneys, only one of them properly functional (aren't living creatures strange?). The 3 dodgy ones were removed when he was small. He seems alright, now a teenager, just has to be a bit careful about drinking loads & no contact sports.

X fingers it all goes well for both of you.

SushiForBreakfast Mon 17-Mar-14 13:53:02

Thanks Holiday. Kidney problems are not uncommon, I know.

It is nice to hear that the surgery went well for him.
x

Nocakeformeplease Mon 17-Mar-14 19:53:57

Hi sushi.

My 5 year old DS had surgery to remove a kidney last June. It was different reasons (tumour) but I imagine the surgery is very similar.

The operation caused an obstruction in his bowel that required a further op a few days later (this is rare) but once that was sorted he recovered very well and was pretty much back to normal within a week.

It was terrifying at the time but I think kids generally bounce back very quickly. I hope it all goes well x

TooOrangeyForCrows Tue 18-Mar-14 18:46:45

Hi, we have been through similar. The op was done by laparoscopy, which leaves tiny scars on the back. My DC was up and about the next day, and didn't want to rest as much as we thought they should. We were advised to give calpol and ibuprofen around the clock for the first few days, to keep up a good level of painkillers, and this really helped. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now