Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Periorbital Cellulitis

(5 Posts)
Sooperswooper Sun 16-Mar-14 13:57:53

My ds is 17 months old and keeps getting this. It was initially wrongly diagnosed as conjunctivitis (despite no pink eye or any usual CJ signs) and then when shortly afterwards when the eye was ridiculously puffed shut, pink etc went back to the Dr, PC diagnosed & was going for IV antibiotics but luckily tried oral Augmentin which worked a treat. Fast forward to the end of the antibiotics and two days later, he got it in the other eye so more Augmentin and some topical ABs. Two days after ABs finished exactly the same, again in the other eye. Swabs taken but nothing of note came back from them. Though this time a weaker AB was prescribed and I suggested that as he kept getting it, a referral might be a good idea so "at some point" we should get an appt. through for ds.

Unfortunately the weaker Abs aren't working he now appears to have it in both eyes with puffiness, redness, weeping pus, a temperature and is completely out of sorts. Am going to go back to the GP tomorrow for the fourth time in as many weeks now.

Has anyone else's dc had this at all on a recurrent basis and any effective treatment? I don't really want ds on strong antibiotics and continually feeling unwell (although obviously am happy if the antibiotics are helping him feel better) so want to actually nip whatever is causing this in the bud asap.

hedwig2001 Sun 16-Mar-14 14:17:28

I think that oral antibiotics are not treating this effectively. This is why it is recurring.
In my hospital, we would certainly give IV antibiotics in this situation for small babies. I suspect the same is true for older children.
I would be tempted to go to A&E. Do you have a paediatric A&E near you? Some hospitals have urgent eye clinics.

Sooperswooper Sun 16-Mar-14 16:57:21

Thanks Hedwig; that's my thought too. Unfortunately no paediatric A&E nearby (nor car at the moment, though that's totally by the by as taxis are around as necessary). Calpol is at least bringing the temperature down, so first thing to GP to try and push for an emergency referral (if such things exist) to a paediatric eye appointment.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 16-Mar-14 17:28:10

I think you need IVs. It can potentially be quite dangerous if there's any pus or the infection spreads. Especially if the eye is closed. The only way you can tell is by a scan.m

I would get it seen by someone else to be honest, A&E or an eye clinic.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 16-Mar-14 17:41:46

Sorry just to add. I don't think the orals are getting rid of the infection entirely which is why it keeps coming back. In hospital we wouldn't send a child home after IV until it was obvious it had gone, for the same reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now