Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would you wake baby for paracetamol?

(17 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Sat 15-Mar-14 22:40:38

DS3 is ill again, crusty eyes, streaming nose and swollen red cheeks. His temp feel very high but he's moved the thermometer to only he knows where hmm

He's 16 months and we've spent most this year in and out of CAU with him for various infections etc.

He's had paracetamol about 7.15 and he's asleep. I checked on him and he stirred and started shivering but still feels really hot to touch. Shall I wake for more paracetamol/ibuprofen or leave to sleep?

BertieBotts Sat 15-Mar-14 22:42:16

If he's shivering I'd say yes. Do you have a syringe or a bottle handy? It might be possible to take advantage of his sucking reflex and not actually wake him up! If you use bottle just put a little bit of milk or water in and mix the calpol into that.

DramaAlpaca Sat 15-Mar-14 22:43:10

Poor baby. If he's sleeping I'd be inclined to leave him & give him some paracetamol when he next wakes.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 15-Mar-14 22:43:20

its too early for more paracetamol. I would leave him to sleep and if he wakes later he can have more meds

bigwellylittlewelly Sat 15-Mar-14 22:45:10

Depends on the child, he sounds ill enough to need the antipyretics.

Both my girls have a horrid habit of getting very ill with high fevers and so we tend to react with a 24h drug regime. If yoy have open access to CAU then why not ring and ask their opinion.

No. read this from 1.6.3 onwards. Check for dehydration but otherwise I'd leave him to sleep.

Quinteszilla Sat 15-Mar-14 22:46:35

Yes, if that is going to make you sleep more easy.

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 15-Mar-14 22:48:34

I know he can't have anymore yet, last time the only way we kept him out of hospital was with alternating ibuprofen and paracetamol in regiment but he was rocking a temperature of 39 then. I'm quite uneasy without the thermometer!

Poor baby, he's only just starting to recover from the last lot of infections/penicillin allergy sad

He'll take medicine from a syringe. I'm worried about going to sleep when he's poorly. blush

mousmous Sat 15-Mar-14 22:49:30

if he's sleeping there is no need for medicine imo.
give him some if he becomes unsettled later, but a fever is good. it shows that his immune system is working.

I would adjust his bedding so that he's covered but with a thinly blanket (a muslin perhaps) and keep an eye out every couple of hours or so.

mousmous Sat 15-Mar-14 22:50:15

can you sleep next to him?

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 15-Mar-14 22:51:50

He's covered in a viral rash (same as before) he's in a thin baby grow no vest and no blankets atm. His grow egg is showing an 'ok' room temperature.

He's not eaten today, he's drinking and just cuddling and doing a high pitched whine all the time.

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 15-Mar-14 22:53:03

I can take shift with DP for sleeping, he's in a tiny toddler bed, I'll sleep on the floor next to the bed I think. He's meant to have his MMR on Monday!

ilovepowerhoop Sat 15-Mar-14 22:54:58

I would postpone the mmr until he is fully recovered

Sirzy Sat 15-Mar-14 22:55:18

I wouldn't wake. Rest is important for him and chances are if he is ill he will be up during the night anyway so you can give then if needed.

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 15-Mar-14 22:55:56

I will do, he's already missed it three times, I'm sure a few more weeks won't matter.

BeaWheesht Sun 16-Mar-14 00:05:47

The high pitched whine is IMO something to be worried about and I'd be calling for advice. Does the rash fade under pressure? Is he rousable?

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 16-Mar-14 01:04:51

Yes, I'm able to wake him found this out after DP went stomping about upstairs the rash is blanching, he always gets it when his temp goes up, it's always been diagnosed as a viral rash.

As for the high pitched whining, all 3 of my children are high pitched all the time, I think it's just his grizzly cry because he wants to be held while he doesn't feel well.

I was going to go and sleep next to him but DP's snoring is rattling the walls! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now