Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Christening and possible chicken pox

(13 Posts)
Jobelly Fri 14-Mar-14 12:39:45

DD1 has come out in a few spots this morning, kept her off school as a little boy in her class has leukaemia but she is fine in herself. Couple more spots come out on her head but that is it.
However it is DD2 christening on Sunday and there is no way I want DD1 not to be there. I am trying to decide whether to cancel the catering now and cancel the whole thing even though we have people coming from far away or as friends who will be there have suggested just take her anyway but let people know so if they decide not to go fair enough. The only thing that worries me about this option is if she takes a turn for the worst and is too poorly tomorrow or Sunday and it is too late to cancel. It has been 7 years since DS had chicken pox so I can't remember when they feel unwell and how bad it gets.
Any advise to how the pattern generally goes, I hoping as it's been 4 hours now and only 3 spots in the hair and couple on torso it's either not chicken pox or she has it very mild.
What a nightmare!

meditrina Fri 14-Mar-14 12:42:59

Is it a private christening? If so, then you could stick to the plan as long as you inform absolutely everyone so they can make an informed decision about whether they attend.

If it is a normal christening in the main Sunday service, then I think you'll need to cancel to avoid exposing the whole congregation.

BeaWheesht Fri 14-Mar-14 13:06:47

You should cancel IMO

BeaWheesht Fri 14-Mar-14 13:07:54

Oh and ds had 2 spots for 2 days then came out in hundreds. Dd came out with hundreds over the first few days.

Jobelly Fri 14-Mar-14 13:56:05

It's a private christening, only close family and friends, none of whom seem bothered its more I'm worried that DD2 will feel rotten. TBH don't know if too late already to cancel caterer, maybe need to find out.

goldenlula Fri 14-Mar-14 14:11:05

On day 1 ds1 had about 12 spots, although it is possible he had actually had one or 2 for almost 24 hours and it was on his hairline and I didn't realise. The next day he had about 50. The next day he woke and looked like he had been attacked with a red pen, I reckon 200 plus. First day was a Friday (tea time), explosion of spots happened over the Saturday night to Sunday morning, up until then he only had 2 spots on his face, on Sunday morning he had loads.
Ds2 came out with them last night, just 6 spots, 8 spots this morning, now in double figures and I am sure I can see more starting to erupt. It is fairly common for them to erupt in waves over 2-3 days.
In answer to your question about the Christening, I am not sure tbh. If you let everyone know (including the vicar) and they are happy, it will only be you and your guests in the church (and the vicar obviously) and your after 'party' is in a private place (home or hall) and not in a pub then maybe go ahead. I think I would cancel though.

goldenlula Fri 14-Mar-14 14:12:17

Oh and the Sunday and Monday were the worst days for ds1 feeling poorly (itch crisis through until 4am Monday morning).

Farahilda Fri 14-Mar-14 14:14:14

You'll need to contact the celebrant and any other church officials who may be present, plus the caterers so they can inform their staff, as all those people need to make an informed decision about the risk, not just your guests.

Jobelly Fri 14-Mar-14 14:23:05

It's a private room and the caterer is just dropping off the food. Just tried to contact him and shop number not answering and can't find his mobile, hadn't worried too much about his number as used him before.
It's not her contact with other people that is worrying me as everyone she could come into contact with will know its her not being well. Just not even sure yet it is chicken pox as she does have a cough which dr said on Monday was a viral infection. She's starting to itch though which isn't a good sign!

goldenlula Fri 14-Mar-14 14:42:07

The cough could all be part of the chicken pox. Ds1 had a sore throstle for a few days and an earache the day before, ds2 had an earache on Wednesday and spots started last night. They take 12ish hours to blister.

Finlaggan Fri 14-Mar-14 15:17:08

both mine have just had it. They were both fine the day the spots came out and most of the day after. Day after that they were thoroughly miserable & really it would've been unfair to take them anywhere.

As much of an inconvenience as it will be I'd cancel.

if you're rebooking make sure you give yourself enough time for your other child to get and get over it.

Its a miserable virus & I'd feel terrible if I'd knowingly passed it on.

coldwater1 Fri 14-Mar-14 15:35:24

Going by my recent experience (4 kids with chicken pox) days 3/4 were the worst. I would cancel just in case.

Jobelly Sun 16-Mar-14 22:26:19

Just to complete the thread, christening went ahead today and think we were very lucky. She has come out in quite a few spots but mainly torso and face at moment clear. Only 2 people didn't come to christening (she is pregnant and so understandable) and I think it was great for DD as she was totally distracted. Less so since we were home tonight so I think we may have a few long days whilst she is still itching.
Just hoping DD2 doesn't get it now, wouldn't want her to catch it at 4m anyway but she had a week in intensive care with bronchiolitis at 3 weeks so I'm even more anxious about her getting anything.
Thanks for all the advise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: