Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! Accidently given DD double antihistamine dose!

(8 Posts)
TryToBeCalm Thu 13-Mar-14 20:26:13

My DD (3) has a chesty cough. Her cough syrup was sat next to the Piriton bottle (same colour bottle and both clear medicine) I gave her a 5ml dose of what I thought was cough syrup and then a moment later realised I had picked up the piriton! The recommended dose of piriton for her age is 2.5ml! She had just had some calpol and her antibiotic too. I am so worried and upset. DH says she'll be fine but I'm wondering whether to ring 111... She is asleep now but stirs if I rub her back. Feel so guilty!

TryToBeCalm Thu 13-Mar-14 20:39:46

Anyone??

lucjam Thu 13-Mar-14 21:19:24

I would ring 111 for advice, best to check it out. Hope she is ok. Take care.

Clara35 Thu 13-Mar-14 22:52:24

Ring 111 to put your mind at rest but I'm sure it will be ok as my ds had good allergies & his dose of piriton prescribed by hospital was always higher than stated on the bottle.

Clara35 Thu 13-Mar-14 22:52:54

*food not good allergies!

Casmama Thu 13-Mar-14 22:55:04

She'll be fine. My DS had an egg allergy and the consultant advised to give the recommended dose then if hives hadn't resolved to give another dose- said it was almost impossible to overdose on antihistamines. At this stage my DS was about 18 months so don't worry- might just make her a bit sleepy.

TryToBeCalm Fri 14-Mar-14 08:04:42

111 said to just monitor her and this morning she is fine, full of beans actually! I have moved the piriton to another shelf in cupboard!

DeWe Fri 14-Mar-14 10:09:39

Don't worry!

Dd1 got prescribed piriton aged about 9 or 10yo. Somehow I got mixed up with another medication she was taking and was giving 10ml. About 6 weeks later (priton about 1-2 times a week) for some reason I checked and realised it should be 5ml. blush

Doctor just chuckled, told me to make sure I read properly in future and said she'd be fine.

She did sleep well after it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now