Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hydrocele in newborn boys

(10 Posts)
nolongerbumpieorlumpie Thu 13-Mar-14 14:08:48

Hi,

We just had our 6week check and my lo has a hydrocele on his right testie. I have read what it is but am unsure after we "watch it for a few months", what happens? Does it just disappear, would he need an op? Is it dangerous?

Any advice or experience would be great.

biscuit biscuit

5madthings Thu 13-Mar-14 14:14:36

My ds4 had this,it was huge! It gradually just disappeared though, the fluid is absorbed into the body.

puddock Thu 13-Mar-14 14:17:35

DS1 had a hydrocele on one testis too. Alarming looking but it just shrinks away, and if it doesn't then that's when you go back to GP.

ClaimedByMe Thu 13-Mar-14 14:21:21

My ds was born with a hydrocele too, his testicle twisted and he lost it, watch out for any changes in your ds, if he becomes distressed due to pain.

Frontdoorstep Thu 13-Mar-14 18:49:40

My ds had a hydroelectric too, it just disappeared. However, it was there for a few good months before it disappeared. We saw a paediatrician who said that if it didn't disappear by itself it would be solved by a very simple op. once it had gone away, we didn't see paed again, he was happy it had gone. Can't remember how old ds was exactly, but think he was about three.

Casmama Fri 14-Mar-14 19:15:31

My DS had a hydrocele too. GP said to come back if it hadn't resolved by 15 months I think but it went away by itself.

800threadcount Sat 15-Mar-14 12:42:08

My ds had a hydrocele too. Our local health clinic picked it up, we went to GP who referred on to a consultant who recommended it be removed. The op took place on NYE 2 years ago. General anaesthetic. It was very short, and he recovered super-quick. Tiny scar on his lower abdomen which has faded to nothing.

NCISaddict Sat 15-Mar-14 13:07:39

My DS had one, it was observed until he was 18 months old and then operated on when it hadn't gone. Tiny incision on his lower abdomen which was glued rather than stitched. Scar faded very quickly and he wasn't in pain after the op which was done at the same time as another procedure that needed a GA.
They said it needed to be closed as he would almost certainly develop a hernia later if not.

bonzo77 Sat 15-Mar-14 13:14:02

My DS2 had a huge one! It resolved by about 10 months. Honestly he looked so odd, and when he was cold his balls didn't shrivel like they're meant to. He was under paeds as he was prem, and the paediatrician was not concerned. In fact, I just thought he had massive balls until it was mentioned at his 6 week check, as they'd not said anything while we were in nicu.

Mumof3xx Sat 15-Mar-14 13:14:49

My dc1 had this and it just disappeared

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now