Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

White lump on DD's eyeball

(11 Posts)
rachyconks Thu 13-Mar-14 10:40:40

Yesterday when DD (15 months), woke up I noticed she had a bloodshot eye. On further inspection there appears to be a small white lump or abrasion where the white meets the iris. As yesterday went on the bloodshot faded, but the mark was still there. This morning the bloodshot is back as bad as ever. She is not irritated by it, not rubbing it or bothered by it, so I'm assuming it's not hurting her. I've rung the doctors for an appointment and the earliest they can see her is next Wednesday hmm. So, has anyone ever seen or experienced something like this to help put my mind at ease until I can get her to the docs? if so, is there anything I can do or does it just need time to disappear?

Mogz Thu 13-Mar-14 12:29:23

Could be pinguecula, it's not normally painful or a cause for concern, gp is likely to give eye drops to keep the eye lubricated.
You could take her to see an optometrist if the gp can't see her until next week. Most places like Specsavers do walk in appointments.

WhisperingShadow Thu 13-Mar-14 12:32:45

I would take her to Specsavers just to be on the safe side. They saved my eyesight by disgnosing something a Dr didn't. I always go there now. Explain the issue, they will probably see her today.

rachyconks Thu 13-Mar-14 12:36:55

I never thought of taking her to the opticians. Great idea. Thanks

Nocomet Thu 13-Mar-14 12:46:39

optician is a good first port of call. They are normally great with children and much better set up for examining eyes. An optician will drop the lights and give a child a single point light to stare at so they keep still. Most optician have a brilliant bed side manner and will be finished before the child has really noticed.

rachyconks Thu 13-Mar-14 18:31:53

Ugh. Took her to specsavers and they said she was too young for them to examine! I explained I couldn't get a GP appt until Wednesday and they said "take her to a&e if you are worried". Ffs. Even I know it's not a job for a&e!

Nocomet Thu 13-Mar-14 20:01:00

Sorry didn't realise she's that young. Need to learn to read. Under 3 ish I think opticians and GPs will bounce you to the eye dept. at the hospital.

Pinklemon Fri 14-Mar-14 10:14:58

Are there any eye hospital where you can just walk in?

Mogz Sat 15-Mar-14 09:10:35

How's she dong today? Do you have a walk in centre? They should be able to get her some eye drops and a check over before you see your gp.

rachyconks Sat 15-Mar-14 22:12:04

No eye hospital here - just A&E and OOH. It seems to be getting better (though more bloodshot - the lump is reducing). She is still not bothered by it!

Pinklemon Sun 16-Mar-14 20:58:34

Should really have her check out if it's still bloodshot. Could be marginal keratitis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now