Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

glucose levels of 9.6

(6 Posts)
manicmum75 Wed 12-Mar-14 20:26:36

My son recently had a blood glucose test done at the gp surgery during an appointment for possible urine infection. His levels were 9.6 this was 2 hrs after his breakfast. We were asked to go to A&E for a paediatric Dr to check him over. His levels tested 6.9 this was now 4 hrs after eating. They didn't seem at all concerned and we're more interested in the possibility of a urine infection. Since then I have briefly had a look online and everything I have read suggest s these levels are not normal. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? Should I just ignore it or get him checked out. Don't want to put him through blood tests etc if not really necessary.

Spookey80 Wed 12-Mar-14 20:30:45

I would probably make an appointment with a GP to discuss it and ask about having a fasting blood glucose taken, it certainly needs to be checked out again and is quite a straightforward blood test to do.

paddyclampo Wed 12-Mar-14 21:18:59

I don't think they're anything to worry about. If he has an infection his glucose levels will be slightly higher than normal anyway. Obviously keep an eye on him and take him back if he shows any unusual symptoms.

KickassCoalition Wed 12-Mar-14 21:22:28

9.6 is high, but DP who is type 1 says an infection would push it over normal.

However, I would still take him to the GP even after DP's advice just to make sure.

manicmum75 Thu 13-Mar-14 14:45:38

Thank you all, this is very helpful. He hasn't been right for a couple of weeks, tired, pale, not himself at all. I will keep an eye and have a chat with his gp. Thanks again.

paddyclampo Thu 13-Mar-14 22:07:08

When I got diagnosed with type 1 I got very ill very quickly. Main symptoms I had were being VERY thirsty and weeing a lot. These, along with being tired and losing weight would be cause for alarm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now